Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering what the fellow members thoughts are on the current ammo shortage, what caused it, how long will it last, etc... Of course any answers will just be speculation but I am starting to get concerned. I stocked up on any I use a while ago and I am still buying any that is available, even birdshot 12 and 20 gauge. It may not be available soon.
Not counting .22lr I have over 10,000 rounds that I use so it's not affecting me yet, but who knows what the future will bring.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I posted this on another shooting forum. This has been an issue for some time now, and with recent events not likely to improve much. I’m sorry that many Americans failed to “see the writing on the wall”! Many millions of Americans that are not prepared for any shortage....toilet paper immediately coming to mind! Food, water, medical essentials, dry goods (clothing, shoes/boots, toilet paper, ect., alternate energy source (wind/solar, ect.), ammunition/components, and a means to produce your families food. Check out the links below for a better understanding as to why you can’t find components and what to expect in the near future! memtb

·
Registered
4,548 Posts

U.S. imports of shelf-ready ammunition plunged 34% in the three months ended Aug. 31 compared to the same period in 2019, according to the most recent data from Chris Rogers of S&P Global Market Intelligence Panjiva.

Ammunition imports were impacted by Covid-19 shutdowns in Europe, particularly involving manufacturers in Spain, Italy and Eastern Europe, according to Mark Oliva, public affairs director for the National Shooting Sports Foundation, the U.S. gun industry group.

·
Registered
4,548 Posts
Can anyone elaborate on what ammo comes from Canada?

“The top foreign suppliers of ammo to the U.S. are from Canada with 20.2% of market share, followed by Europe (particularly Germany and the United Kingdom) with 13.5%, and then Israel with 12.1%...”

·
Registered
14,168 Posts
There is a backlog of over $1 billion in ammo alone; assuming no issues with Democrats, it will be AT LEAST a year before things get caught up; same for the guns. Ruger has a backlog of $400,000,000 by themselves and now, with Remington firearms history and demand still growing, guns will also take a year or better.

·
Registered
14,223 Posts
Ya mean there is a shortage of factory ammo? I'll be. No shortage here.

Reactions: msharley

·
Registered
20 Posts
There’s zero .22 ammo on the shelves here. Most stores have no handgun ammo at all, none. It’s hit or miss on .38 Special, or 9mm. The Dems won’t restrict guns they’ll kill the ammo supplies.

·
Registered
14,223 Posts
There’s zero .22 ammo on the shelves here. Most stores have no handgun ammo at all, none. It’s hit or miss on .38 Special, or 9mm. The Dems won’t restrict guns they’ll kill the ammo supplies.
Brilliant deduction.....

Stands to reason without anything to chamber, that fancy gun becomes a club. Foresight is always better than hindsight and learning how to reload properly and buying components is paramount to surviving the upcoming no ammo situation.

I don't go out and shoot willy nilly. I sight them in and put them away.... loaded. Might shoot my 22's but I have literally thousands of 22's, anyway. I bought them when they were cheap and plentiful. Not in boxes either, in bulk bricks.

Reminds me of the toilet paper fiasco in a way.

·
Registered
4,548 Posts
But... ammo IS being produced. No one’s stopped US manufacturers, wholesalers, truckers, retailers, or customers. They’re making as much as ever, apparently. We’re just buying more than they make. No Dem conspiracy, unless it’s to inspire us to buy more guns and ammo, and there’s nothing new about that.

·
Registered
13,179 Posts
Back in the 2012-13 shortage, I eventually saw many brands on the shelf that I was unfamiliar with, Perfecta being one of those. Since Covid was worldwide, foreign manufactured ammo isnt there to fill in the gap

·
Registered
156 Posts
Back in the 2012-13 shortage, I eventually saw many brands on the shelf that I was unfamiliar with, Perfecta being one of those. Since Covid was worldwide, foreign manufactured ammo isnt there to fill in the gap
Import of foreign ammunition (new and surplus) is going to be banned next year.

Don’t forget, there’s thousands of M1 Carbines sitting in South Korean storage because Obama refused to allow them to be imported through CMP. Expect a similar attitude from Harris/Biden.

·
Registered
14,223 Posts
This is a great time to buy ammo... compared to what’s coming in Feb 2021. Wait until:
  • Harris/Biden is sworn in
  • Nationwide plandemic lockdown takes effect
  • Executive Orders are released concerning guns and ammo
  • The next round of riots

2020 will seem like a time of plenty
You have that right. Plugs (and I will continue to call him by that name as I have no respect for the turd and never will).... has said he will impose a mandatory mask law whether by congress or by fiat but he will. next is the gun grab and then who knows. I wonder if gun owners will actually grow some or if they stay limp. Only time will tell I guess. Putting my money on a flaccid Weiner......... :(

It's Biden-Harris, not Harris-Biden but then I'm pretty sure it will wind up being Harris-Pelosi.

·
Registered
14,223 Posts
What I find amazing is just how short the memories of the citizens are. What a fickle group, rightly worth giving a good screwing to I guess.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
I had read articles similar to that above predicting the ammo shortage would deminish by mid 2021. BUT with the election of Biden / Harris and Biden's statement to put Beto in charge of guns. I don't see things getting any better in 2021 or maybe in 2022.

I have curtained practice to the shooting range for now. I was worried that if Trump was reelected the liberals would riot. With Biden appearing to win, the trouble has been minimal but the MAGA March had trouble start near sundown. I firmly believe there will be physical violence and we need to stay alert and prepared.

My wife and I reviewed possible escape routes out of our subdivision. These routes include going through those white aluminum fences, cutting through yards to reach a farmer's field and the road around it. I would rather have a plan I never need than need a plan I never had.

Reactions: msharley
1 - 20 of 55 Posts