Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, here goes...

Found another Winchester 1892 in 38-40. Bore is mirror smooth still. Gun appears to be a factory reblue. Mechanically excellent. The stocks are terrible. The forestock has been carved and has a crack and the rear buttstock has two chips in it at the juncture of the receiver. Somebody must of urethaned over an earlier oil finish and it is checkered or crazed overall.

It is a 24 inch octagon, however.... and dates to 1917. :)

Price is $700

Deal or No Deal?

giz

·
Registered
19,790 Posts
You know that I'm not a collecter. :roll: BUT.....I never buy anything that I have to put money into.........to make it worth something. Just my opinion....... mytwocents Bob

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Giz As you well know anything that you do to restore the firearm will lower it's value as a collector. At $700 I would pass. ;)

·
Registered
110 Posts
Replacement stocks for '92s are readily available and inexpensive. This one is in an interesting caliber with the octagonal barrel and would probably make a good shooter but is a little too new to be a collector's piece. The price is still too high at $700. If the original wood was still good that would be OK but not in this condition.

·
Registered
306 Posts
DEAL!
Quitcherbitchin' and buy the damn thing already! You needed a winter project anyway.
I would be very pleased indeed to have such a project,but I would first try to epoxy,sand and re-finish the wood that's on it now before I went looking for replacement lumber for it.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Surely someone makes a fiberglas stock for it. :roll: Maybe in a camo pattern or pink for your significant other.

I'd pass, but I'm a Scotsman.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Lord Slashcat said:
DEAL!
Quitcherbitchin' and buy the damn thing already! You needed a winter project anyway.
I would be very pleased indeed to have such a project,but I would first try to epoxy,sand and re-finish the wood that's on it now before I went looking for replacement lumber for it.
Giz, don't you love having friends that readily spend your money? :lol: You tell him George! kfjdrfirii

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Bunch of enablers here.... :mrgreen:

I'm leaning on getting it and doing the restoration. It fills a hole in my meager collection of octagon barrel guns and finding one with a perfect bore is a good start. If it's still there when I go back....prolly take it.

Thanks guys for all the pros and cons...

giz

·
Super Moderator
8,955 Posts
Hey Giz, you know you were going to buy it no matter what we said didn't ya? kihfL

1 - 9 of 9 Posts