Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
looks like their pet.png
My father once had a Sunbeam Tiger. Took delivery in the UK, so it had right hand drive. Fast forward a few years, and he's brought it to the US, and gave it to my much older brother. Well, my brother had an auburn colored, full-size, poodle; looked just like the right hand picture, only reddish brown. One day he was taking the dog to the vet, so dropped the top on the Tiger, got the dog to sit in the passenger (left) seat, and headed into town. They were idling at a stoplight when a Chevelle SS full of hormone-laden teenage boys scritched to a stop next to the Tiger. The long flowing ears, curly auburn hair, and you know what the boys thought was sitting in that seat - the left hand picture of course! Then they saw the animal full face - and the look on their faces was priceless!

·
Registered
12,334 Posts
One car I always wanted, a Sunbeam Tiger with a Ford V8 under the bonnet. Pocket rocket.

·
Registered
10,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
One car I always wanted, a Sunbeam Tiger with a Ford V8 under the bonnet. Pocket rocket.
Ours was the Mk I with the 260 V8. The Mk II had the 289. Even then Pop ripped the traction links off the body (connecting rear axle to frame) 3 times. The third time the dealer said "You are abusing the vehicle, this is the last time we repair this under warranty" But they did weld on a reinforcement pad, and it held evermore. Thought it was a sweet ride. Even though the ragtop always leaked, it loved sweeping turns at speed. Designed to compete with the XKE, it would do 0-60 in about 6 seconds. Top end around 125. This out of something the size of an MGB. The engine was so long, the rear two spark plugs were removed by going through little panels on the dashboard! When we sold it (long story there) an Army tanker bought it for weekend racing. I went with him on the test drive, and he was drifting that thing through residential street corners with great skill! I did not want Pop to sell that thing... But a freshman at UT with that car would have been in more trouble, faster, than anything you could imagine.

Sunbeam was owned by Roots, and eventually Roots ended up under GM. The small block Chevy V8 wouldn't fit, so they quit making the Tiger altogether.

·
Registered
3,388 Posts
The Rootes Group was acquired by Chrysler. So for a time you had a British car with a Ford engine warranted by Chrysler.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts