Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Super Moderator
19,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live up in Idaho that has some pretty lax conceal carry laws so it brings up an interesting question for me.
There are quite a few posts that mention you have registered a particular gun to your CCW permit/license. I'm not sure that I understand what "registering" a gun has to do with a CCW.
Does that mean if you carry a gun that is not registered to it you're in violation of your permit, and can end up in deep trouble if you're caught with something else? (for what ever reason you are stopped)
I'm going to Michigan in late December and I really need to make sure I'm not going to screw up there. I have my Idaho CCW permit and have been told it's honored in Michigan, but will I need to report my carry gun with the local authorities when I get there?

Help and answer if you can, please.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Suggest you try the state of Michigan web site. There have been some common sense changes over the years.

My state of Indiana use to require a permit per gun. Now they offer a lifetime permit. Michigan has always honored Indiana permits.

Also you may want to carry proof of ownership. Common practice the past several years has been to confiscate guns found during investigation of other misdeeds.

·
Registered
429 Posts
GC,

I have a Michigan CPL and you don't have to register a gun to it and Michigan recipricates with Idaho. So as long as your guns are legal in Idaho your OK.

Dave

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
You wanna see some stupid and confusing gun laws... check out NY! We can only legally possess a handgun if we have a pistol permit. Every gun has to be on that permit. Most of them are not a full carry and conceal unless the judge lifts the restrictions (it varies county to county, but is similar). Getting the permit in the first place is a feat in and of itself. It takes about 4 months from the time you pick up the paperwork, get fingerprinted, have the background check run, letters from your employer attesting to your mental health, letters from character references, etc. It is all kinds of fun!

·
Super Moderator
8,963 Posts
You got that right Chris, crazy laws in NY. I had to wait 6 months!

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
I just had the restrictions lifted last month. I wrote a letter to the judge asking for a full carry and conceal permit, due to the fact that I am a corrections officer in the community I live. Being a Duty sworn officer of the Sheriff's department did hurt either... We can't even buy guns on our badge up here...strange

·
Registered
429 Posts
Chris,

Ya, it sounds like NY is really screwed up on this. For the law makers to make a law that doesn't let you buy a gun on your badge is crazy. It shows how much they trust their LEOs/COs. Shameful!

One big feature of Mich CPL is; Now I don't have to get a purch permit to buy a Handgun. I just show the CPL and walk out. (Well after droppin' some cash and fillin' out the papers).

Dave

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Dave, every time I buy a gun, The dealer fills out a receipt including:
bbl length
caliber
Serial Number
Make
Model
Revolver or Semiauto
and the magic words "with lock"

I then take that receipt to my county clerk's office (keep in mind I buy most of my guns in the next county over)

I pay $5.00 for them to print the new info on the back of my permit, and enter it into the system

They give me a "coupon" to take to the dealer

Dealer calls Feds to run another background check

Dealer gives me MY gun that I paid for earlier (sometimes days earlier)

Dealer submits coupon to whoever to relieve said handgun from their possession.

It is such a hassle to purchase a new gun, it almost isn't worth it!

·
Registered
429 Posts
f150guy said:
It is such a hassle to purchase a new gun, it almost isn't worth it!
I think that's the idea. They want it too hard to deal with often.

Even before my CPL. I could go in to local Police station, take a BS test, get a purch permit in 15 mins, the permit is good for any gun, for up to 10 days. I don't know if, for me then, it was that quick becasue I have so many on file there.

Anyway, I'm glad for the CPL and that Mich is getting better on guns. There's a big Open Carry group walkin' around OC'g, so it's loosened up here! hpzl;n;

·
Super Moderator
19,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
WGlide90,
When I lived in Mich, way back in the perverbial dark ages I bought a handgun new from a dealer. Purchasing the gun was the easy part. "Registering" it was a whole different story.
Here's the chain of events that took place when I bought my 1st gun.

I had to take it to my City Police Dept. (Battle Creek) with 2 rounds of ammo.
The LEO wrote down all of the pertinant info on the gun and me.
They then took the gun somewhere into the back office and fired off the 2 rounds.
They gave me my gun and kept the 2 bullets and casings for their files.
The gun was then "Registered". When I sold the gun later I had to tell them to who bought it and their address, with a copy of the sales receipt. They mailed a letter to the buyer and gave them instructions on "Transferring the Registration" on the gun they purchased.

My dad "traded" 2-$20 Gold pieces for a Colt 1911 Service .45 pistol with his Son-in-law.
Since it was considered a trade and not a purchase, he never had a receipt made out.
He took the gun down to the Police Station to get it registered and they confiscated the gun until he had a receipt made out as "Proof of Purchase".
They basically accused him of stealing the gun and they threatened him with having and transporting an unreguistered gun in his possession. It took him a couple of days before he had the receipt and all of the paperwork straightened out and he had his gun back in his hands.
Ironically, he joined the Police Dept about 25 years later and worked with the Police Dept and the city council to change some of the handgun laws in Battle Creek. He worked at the front desk and helped people with their gun registrations amongst other things he did
Last I heard from my daughter, Battle Creek still requires all handguns to be "registered" to the owner, but no longer keeps bullets and casings in their files.

I'm glad the laws are better but they have much room for improvement still.

·
Super Moderator
11,069 Posts
Very interesting. People who live in those areas just get used to it I guess and are surprised that things are different elsewhere. Case in point is while I was working at my local FFL to help out with their once a year big sale (tent sale with clearance stuff, factory reps on hand, great gun deals, etc.) I was helping a guy decide on which reloading package to go with. I went over all his options and he decided on the Lee Anniversary kit. He asked me what he needed to buy the kit. I was confused for a second and I told him he just needed the cash or they would take a credit card. He looks at me and says, no, I mean what kind of paperwork. I'm from Mass but I have my FID with me. I smiled and said that's great, but since he was currently in a free state, he wouldn't need any of that. Just the ability to actually buy it. :lol:

No offense to the Mass residents here intended. I don't know for sure, but I wouldn't even think the FID card was needed to purchase a reloading kit in Mass. Someone please tell me I am not wrong about that. The point being that he was conditioned to think that way.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Ya state to state laws vary tremendously.

In Mich it has never been illegal to open carry a handgun. But the laws make it easier to do now and the State AG and State Police all have agreed it's OK to OC, except in Pistol Free Zones. Or on private property where the owner restricts guns on his property.

The thing is now there are some gray areas or varying on conflicting laws for carrying CC or OC.

The pistol free zones such as; schools, courts, fed banks, businesses serving or sellin alcohol, sports arenas, etc., prohibits OC and in some cases CC, but allows OC in most of the PFZ to a CPL holder. It's pretty confusing to some. The thing is the groups that OC are not getting much flack from LE or general public. There have been some incidents of LE treating OCers like hardened criminals on the street, but there are far less of those incidents than most would think.

The OC groups have their ducks in arow to counter this on personal basis in case LE arrests someone OCg. Arrests or detainment for this is illegal.

So things are getting better.
Dave

·
Registered
843 Posts
Here in Ohio you can carry what you want 23 plus years ago in the Pittsburgh area I had to give specifics on what I was carrying.

Len

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
Also from Ohio, and I firmly believe that our State has it right.
Your CCW license is a separate entity from any and all guns.
You take the course, pass the tests, apply for the license, and it's good for 5 years, then you renew it.
Guns, on the other hand, don't require a license, only the infamous 'background check'.
Don
;)

·
Registered
600 Posts
Don, same here in TX. We are still lacking open carry, not sure how I feel about it. I have heard horror stories about Mass laws. My buddy Gene is from there and while he lived in TX he built up quite a collection. He got a better job back home and before he left he was informed he could not own a gun up there. He had to liquidate his collection very quickly. I ended up buying his large safe that I still use today.

·
Super Moderator
11,069 Posts
NH is one of the most free states in terms of gun rights. OC is allowed via our constitution. CC is a must issue permit barring a felony record or misdemeanor domestic abuse. No qualifications for the permit other than age, residency and the record thing. The only places not allowed to carry concealed is a courthouse and the post office.

Believe it or not, Vermont is the best, IMO. Anybody can carry concealed in that state, without a permit. State resident of not. It's hard to believe that is still the case in such a Liberal state, but it is.

·
Registered
25 Posts
In Alabama ccw permits are issued by the Sheriff of each county.
A specific gun is not tied to the permit. You cannot carry a handgun
in a vehicle without a permit.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
I’m kinda’ like Jamm 44 regarding open carry. Open carry would by some of the folks I see around here would scare me real bad. Our concealed carry is OK in that we re-up every 4 yrs. or so and can carry just about anywhere except courts, bars (businesses that make 51% or more on on-premise consumption), etc. Just get fingerprints, pictures, and other paperwork completed along with supposedly 8 hrs. of class and send it off to the state. One of the best things about our license is that it allows you to buy a gun from a dealer without a background check. Just show your license and fill out the form 4473 and you’re outta’ there. No gun “registering” other than what is on file with my FFL. And individual sales to individuals require no paperwork but it’s always a good idea to get a bill of sale with ID information.

·
Registered
593 Posts
trex1310 said:
In Alabama ccw permits are issued by the Sheriff of each county.
A specific gun is not tied to the permit. You cannot carry a handgun
in a vehicle without a permit.
Can you TRANSPORT an unloaded pistol to and from a range without a permit?

ETA: a big distinction between your state and many others is that Alabama sheriffs get to decide who gets a pistol license and why, and they get to place any restrictions on it they seem to think are OK.

Ohio sheriffs do issue our concealed handgun licenses (no license needed to transport unloaded pistols), but they do so under strict and unbending rules set forth by the Legislature. The our law says that as long as you don't fall into any of the prohibitions set forth in the Ohio Revised Statutes, the sheriff MUST issue you a license within 45 days of application. The sheriff has no discretion or choice in the matter nor can he place any restrictions whatsoever on the license.

Any restrictions on the carrying of concealed handguns in Ohio are specified by state law, and no city, county, or any other governing board or body can add to those restrictions.

·
Super Moderator
19,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
CCW-Registering guns to it? I'm finally applying for mine t

Well,
I started this thread wondering about the CCW/CWL laws out there.
I'm glad to say that in about an hour I'm headed down to the local Sherrif's office to apply for my very own CWL. It will cost me $62 and about an hour of my time.
Since I'm a veteran they automatically approve me once I show them my DD214.
I also found out that all of the stories in my county about what is required to get a CWL were mostly wrong. It's much easier than everybody talks about.
To get a CWL, all a non veteran needs to do is to take a "Certified firearms training course" That even includes something as simple as a hunter safety course or an NRA certified firearms course, as long as it is state certified it qualifies as a valid course.

Most people up here kept telling me that my wife was required to take a state certified "Concealed Carry Course" and she isn't required to. Needless to say she will be taking the Concealed carry course in the spring, but it's really not required after all. I was amazed to read the Kootenai County requirements to get a CWL up here are so lax.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts