Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You enjoy reloading when...you load up calibers you don't even have a firearm for, just because you have some brass. Sometimes I'll be finishing loading up a particular caliber, and can't decide on which caliber to load next.
I like loading...
(My wife and son call it my "knitting")

I haven't owned a 357 magnum in several years, but I've got a "pretty good" amount of 357 mag brass. I've been loading 357's for no other reason than "why not?!?"

...have I told you I enjoy reloading?

Many hobbies are "focus hobbies" which require a good bit of time and patience, and require the participant to stay focused on the matter at hand...or performance in said hobby will be poor. And I'm sure there are some anti-gun zealots which would say I've got a loose screw. However, I have enjoyed recreational shooting since I was a kid. Many days were spent with my dad and myself down at Valley Creek just shooting. It was cool to hang out...just myself and Daddy...banging away with .22's or shotguns.

My love of recreational shooting has endured now for 40+ years.
I thoroughly enjoy every aspect...from acquiring lead, smelting and cleaning the lead, casting my own bullets, powder coating bullets, prepping brass, loading ammo, shooting ammo, and starting over with brass prep in a cyclic perpetual pastime.

This past weekend I tumble cleaned some 357's, just because.

I didn't need any, I don't own a 357, and it'll prob be a while before these get shot up. But sooner or later, I'm sure one of my friends will ask,"Do you load .357's?"

Or maybe I'll come across a good deal on a 686...

-Butchman

·
Premium Member
2,847 Posts
I can't say that I enjoy the process. It is more like I tolerate the process as it is a means to an end. Further in my opinion there is a deference between a Handloader whom enjoys the process and Reloader that endures the process. There is no experimentation on my part but rather standard loads that I crank out in volume. Decades in the past when I first started on a single stage press there was a certain amount of gee-whiz enjoyment. Be that as it may (3) progressive units and a single stage unit are in use.

·
Registered
17,001 Posts
I agree.
Case trimming is a pain!

-Butchman
Agree. I like doing different loads and trying out for accuracy. I have a progressive see and it is not that hard to do a few rounds and when tested and approved then can crank them out.

Sent from my LG-D950 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
23,200 Posts
Too bad we aren't closer, I'd swap you 30 or so lbs. of .45 bullets & 15 lbs. of empty brass for some .357 ammo.

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Too bad we aren't closer, I'd swap you 30 or so lbs. of .45 bullets & 15 lbs. of empty brass for some .357 ammo.
Yessir, that'd work. But the drive from your campfire to mine is a might long.
However, if'n you need some 357's Gramps...I'd be honored to send you a mess, and you'd be required to give me some Injunbro feedback on them. UPS allows the shipment of live cartridges if they're in individually sectioned containers.
(I just happen to have a few of those. )

-Butchman

·
Registered
23,200 Posts
Yessir, that'd work. But the drive from your campfire to mine is a might long.
However, if'n you need some 357's Gramps...I'd be honored to send you a mess, and you'd be required to give me some Injunbro feedback on them. UPS allows the shipment of live cartridges if they're in individually sectioned containers.
(I just happen to have a few of those. )

-Butchman

I'm not suffering a shortage just yet but you never have too much. As far as the drive, I'm finding more than 2-3 hours in the drivers seat leaves me gimping nowadays (don't break as many bones as me, it catches up to you as your hair gets gray). I'd happily pay for ammo of course. I wonder if the lady @ the post office would shoot me if I used one of those bulk rate boxes to mail lead?

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
I wonder if the lady @ the post office would shoot me if I used one of those bulk rate boxes to mail lead?
Last year I ordered 100 lbs. of 25-1 lead/tin for the Sharps rifle. It showed up in two 50 lb. if it fits it ships boxes. The mail lady just shook her head and mumbled something about packages weighing more than her kids...

Reloading is just something I've always done mostly because I shot in competition and I couldn't afford not to. Now, several of my rifles are chambered for wildcat or obsolete ammunition so it is a necessity. I do enjoy testing different combinations and achieving a high degree of accuracy. Gives me a sense of accomplishment.

·
Premium Member
1,521 Posts
I reload (on their Dillon 650) at a public indoor range for free range time at their indoor or outdoor range. Only thing I know for sure is that I like my 550 much better than their 650. 45 ACP small primer is an abomination! ! Proof positive why I hate cost-cutting cost accountants -- no engineer is stupid enough to change 45 ACP to small primer! Ugh! ! ! !

·
Registered
197 Posts
Don't like trimming ? Neither do I. See my bench and trimming setup here.

reloading bench rebuild | OHGunOwners
That's a nice reloading bench rebuild. I see you like the Lyman AA Turret Press too. I have 6 of those presses, 1 new one in the box bought from a guy in Maine. I have one set up to load 12 Gauge Brass shells with black powder. I love using them old presses.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I love my time loading ALONE with no one bothering me and cell phone turned off. Relax. But the main reason is I can taylor make ammo for my guns. 95% of my shooting is revolvers and I have about 20 in my normal rotation. I can tell you what is most accurate in all of them from 2” snubs to 8 3/8” target/hunting And it’s amazing the difference the proper load can make. For example I have a model 14 with an 8 3/8” barrel that will shoot HBWC in one ragged hole at 25 yards and a couple of other loads it wont keep inside a 3” circle. Reloading certainly doesn’t save me money but I can shoot a lot more with much better ammo

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
ME TOO! I make my own bullets and shot. Bullet casting is Jan-March( Between deer and turkey season) And shot making is whenever the 150 lbs or so trhat I make per run gets low and I need more.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I enjoy reloading as much as I do shooting. Reloading is a hobby with in itself. I've been retired now for 6 years and I can go do it anytime I get board. I've been reloading since 1962. Started off using the Lee Loader in the little red cardboard box. I could load enough 12 gauge shotgun shells after school in the afternoons and nights to keep me in ammo all weekend dove hunting. As I got older I tried just about every kind of press over the years and finally just use one of my Lee Classic 4 Hole Turret Presses. I don't shoot a lot of ammo but I do shoot a lot of different calibers of ammo and you can't find a press that you can change from one caliber to another as fast as you can on the Lee Turrets. I load the .32 S&W, .380 Auto, .38 Special, .357 Mag., .38-40, .44 Mag, .45 Colt, .50AE, S&W 500 Mag, .30-06 and I'm starting on the 6.5 x 55 Swedish Mauser next and 12 ga. Shotgun Shells.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts