Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday the rain eased off and my daughter and I head to range to try out the Christmas additions. Only one other person there, and the day stayed dry but chilly until we were packing up. (our range has added over head heaters on timers in each bay so we were warm)

My daughter tried out her new Ruger SR1911 Lightweight Commander in 45acp. I was worried she might find a short light 45 a bit snappy but she loved it from the first shot and did very well with it. Below are pictures of her shooting it and the Colt/Walther 1911 in 22lr as well. (I am to tell you that she is wearing three or four layers of clothing and is actually quite skinny!) She was getting three inch groups at 15yds and that silhouette was thoroughly deceased in short order. She was happily hitting shoulders, elbows and the drawing hand as I called them out.

I was next up with the SR9, and after a deep clean and removal of the internal mag safety it ran with no light strikes and was accurate and easy to shoot. It fit her smaller hands nicely too and she found it to be "a narrower Glock 19, with a manual safety added". Another nice Ruger.

The final gun of the day, as is our tradition, was an historical piece. Today was a Fabrique Nationale 1922 (a long barrel 1910) in 380 Auto. We had not shot this before either and it ran like a champ and was very pleasant to shot. Even the old school sight were quite workable. Tiny little gun by Canadian standards.
Back Home game console accessory Shooting range Remote control Active pants
Standing Shooting Elbow Shooting sport Shooting range

All worn out after two hours we went back to the Colt/Walther 1911 in 22lr and plinked away until we were ready to leave. Today the rain returned full force and I happily cleaned guns and relived the afternoon together. It was a nice end to a mostly #$%% year.

·
Registered
30,012 Posts
Any day at the range is great, but always more special when you can spend time with family doing something you enjoy. Great range report! Thanks for sharing.😎

·
Registered
10,109 Posts
Hey Brass,

WAY KOOL!

Has the Daughter watched any Clint Smith vids? He is rough around the edges, but a PREMIER Fight & Live Trainer!

"...Shoot him in the CROTCH!"

Later, Mark

Reactions: Brassmonkey

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Family time is the best time of all! One of my sons came just for 1 1/2 days so no time to go to the range, but we had some "bathroom training" time with the two granddaughters and one new grandson-in-law. That bathroom has a super large mirror, so I lined all three of them up so they could watch themselves as they got into proper stance, learned proper grip and did a couple dry fires with "the dime on the barrel" test. First thing, though was the 4 rules of gun safety which we went over until they all knew them well!

They are all promising to come back in spring or summer when the weather is nice to get some actual shooting in. I hope! Jobs have a way of getting in the way of plans like that, though, and there are several hours of travel time each way involved.

·
Super Moderator
35,582 Posts
Looks like a wonderful time! No experience with the Ruger 1911 but we have a SR40 and it is a fine pistol.

Reactions: Brassmonkey
1 - 7 of 7 Posts