Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently I traded a WWI German 1916/1917 helmet for a few little things. I had one of these before that I did but was forced to sell because I was laid off. The helmet was pretty rough with no liner but I decided that since I was just going to display it on a shelf that the liner doesn't really matter.
In July of 1918 the Chief of the General Staff of the German Army decreed that all helmets were to be painted in segments of green, yellow ochre, rust and brown. All sections were supposed to have sharp corners and have a finger wide strip of black paint separating them. The paint was issued to the troops and to be done in the field. No two helmets are alike and some use two, or only three colors, some all four.
Here are some pics of the helmet when I first got it, obviously rusted and I have no idea what the two holes on the right side are from. The next pics are after a judicial sanding and then smoothing bringing out some of the original paint. The third set is after the painting was all finished.

·
Registered
402 Posts
David,
That helmet turned out nice. ihjf
Nice piece of history.

·
Super Moderator
33,379 Posts
Great job on the restoration, David. kfjdrfirii

1 - 5 of 5 Posts