Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have about 1500 CCI and Winchester small rifle primers that I would like to trade for a like amount of small pistol primers. Any USA brand would be acceptable. Note, trade only, no outright sale! If interested, send me a PM and we can talk!

·
Registered
265 Posts
I use small rifle primers in pistols.

·
Registered
15,190 Posts
I use small rifle primers in pistols.
Any problems with light strikes? I have 1000 CCI small rifle primers. Bought them 5 years ago but never started reloading for rifles, but am getting low on small pistol, and I am completely out of small pistol, magnum primers. I did just load up about 500 357 magnums

·
Registered
265 Posts
Any problems with light strikes? I have 1000 CCI small rifle primers. Bought them 5 years ago but never started reloading for rifles, but am getting low on small pistol, and I am completely out of small pistol, magnum primers. I did just load up about 500 357 magnums
None at all. Even my wife's striker fired guns handle them. Try a few and see how they work.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have tried the small rifle primers in pistol cartridges and had problems with the hammer/firing pin strike being too light. I kept the remaining small rifle primers thinking I might go back to reloading .223 ammo but finally decided that was not necessary. I just believe these primers would be more useable by someone actually loading rifle ammo.

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
Unfortunately for you CCI primers are about the hardest out there to ignite, so if you were going to have a SRP fail to fire in a pistol round, CCI are the most likely ones to have that problem. I'd be interested in making the trade with you if you were local, but with the cost of shipping - including hazmat fees if you are going to ship them legally - you are probably going to have a tough time finding any takers. Do you have any local gun boards with a reloading section? That would be your best bet, since there wouldn't be any shipping involved.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Already PM’d. We each cover the legal shipping costs. I’m reloading .357 Maximum and need harder rifle primers. Pistol primers flow back into the firing pin hole on my Blackhawk and bind the cylinder.

·
Registered
15,190 Posts
Already PM’d. We each cover the legal shipping costs. I’m reloading .357 Maximum and need harder rifle primers. Pistol primers flow back into the firing pin hole on my Blackhawk and bind the cylinder.
Unfortunately I do not believe there is a legal way for you to ship them. Spent 15 years at UPS. Primers are a hazardous material and you have to be a haz-mat certified shipper in order to ship them. Face to face is the only way

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
Unless I'm mistaken that is going to mean shipping FedEx only.
As Jonesey814 said UPS will only allow you to ship hazmats if you have an account established that includes the hazmat shipper certifications. Unless they have changed that in the last 3 years (unlikely).
The US Post Office won't allow ANYBODY to ship primers or powders or any other hazmats.
That pretty much leaves FedEx if you're going to do it legally. I think they will allow you to ship hazmats if you take the package to their terminal and allow them to thoroughly inspect it and label it properly. For a substantial fee of course.
Keep in mind that unless you are paying hazmat shipping fees, all shippers are going to make you sign a declaration that your package doesn't contain anything hazardous - and failure to disclose hazmats in a package carries some very stiff penalties. If you get caught for lying about the contents of the package to conceal that it contains hazmats there are some pretty big fines that they can hit you with - and possibly even worse punishments than that.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I need to look into the shipping issue including costs. Will get back to you after doing so. I did not realize that UPS would not take them. Later.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts