Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for a 29 or 629 S&W with a 6" or 6-1/2" barrel. I've been looking at new models, and may just pull the trigger (pun intended) on one of them. Can't decide just yet if I want a 29 or 629, the Dirty Harry in me wants the model 29, and I'm leaning that way.

So I thought I'd ask about good used models as that may make a tie breaker for me. What do you have? Please, no worn out revolvers or projects.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well, I found one, please don't ask how much I paid, probably way to much, but I wanted it.

I bought an S&W 29-2 nickle plated, about 95% condition based on the photos and the conversation with the guy. Original box, etc. This is a 6-1/2", has the original wood grips.

I leaned towards this one because I owned a model 19 blue, later had a model 19 nickle, both these in the mid 80's, and always wanted a model 29. So I guess this covers all bases. Will post pics when I receive it. This is one that I have at work from the owner.

bzzas1.jpg

Reactions: series guy

·
Registered
901 Posts
Beautiful gun but, you have the wrong case for it. The case is a later style and for a 6” gun. Notice how the barrel extends past the mold. A proper case for a 29-2 would be “flocked” and the tools would be individually seated in the case base as is the gun. The gun would also be facing left.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the compliment on the pistol. I bought the pistol for the pistol, not the case. I plan to shoot this from time to time, not let it sit in the dark away from what it was meant for.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Glad you are going to use it. That’s what they are for and they are darn good for that purpose. You will be a happy guy when it arrives. The presentation case is a desired and valuable item, particularly in the condition yours is. If you don’t want it, it will bring a pretty penny.

·
Premium Member
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Very very happy with this model 29. It is one clean piece. I can't believe how tight everything is as well. This brings back a lot of memories from way back when I bought my first and second model 19's, one was nickle.

This is a 29-2 as was advertised, serial number dates it to a late 1972 or early 1973. Pretty nice for being 47 years old. I was 13 years old when this was made at the S&W plant.

## Added: I researched a little more, seems this is a 1977 or 1978. But is a 29-2. So it's about 41 years old. ##

If this gun could talk, I wonder if it would just say "thanks for freeing me"? I think it's been in a safe for a lot of years.

I plan to keep it really nice, and locked up. But I'll shoot it now and again.

Smith and Wesson Model 29- .44 Magnum (08-09-2019) - 04.JPG

Smith and Wesson Model 29- .44 Magnum (08-09-2019) - 05.JPG

Smith and Wesson Model 29- .44 Magnum (08-09-2019) - 06.jpg

·
Registered
8 Posts
I was thinking about selling my 29-2 because I never shoot it. Too pretty and in such good shape. I bought a 629 to shoot. Mine is the Dirty Harry gun; blue with 6.5 inch bbl. Lots of them on Gunbroker.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts