Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
9,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at a large gun collection the other day really renewed my interest in some of my guns but the thought of having a large collection really made me glad I don't. All that steel would weigh me down and not in a physical way. My six handguns is more than enough. How about you?

·
Registered
12,547 Posts
I am trying to downsize. I want to get down to a couple of shotguns for targets and birds and a few handguns for HD/SD

·
Registered
9,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I said to him do you ever think about selling some off? Were not getting any younger, we are about the same age and neither of our wives are gun people. I think I might have put a flea in his ear. :eek: oops

·
Registered
4,082 Posts
I don’t like being a slave to my possessions.

Reactions: ussmanlovede36

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
Compared to some, my collection is pretty modest. At this point I'm looking for very specific models/ barrel lengths/finishes. I've tried to keep things to 1 or 2 per type max.

I'm nowhere near the divestiture stage as most of the kids are still at home. (they have dibs, usually very specific dibs, on everything)

·
Registered
12,674 Posts
I have about reached my limit. There are a couple I would like to have, and a couple I wouldn't mind letting go of, so it evens out. I am pretty OCD about my guns and wipe them down and inspect everything for rust twice a year. I wouldn't want so many that it becomes a full time job. I really have all I need, a gun for all occasions, but its nice to have something different once in a while

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
Not really looking FOR anything, but I can't seem to stop looking AT them. So I'm still buying when I find something significantly under market price. I figure I will undoubtedly start selling at some point in the future, but I have a hard time resisting a bargain on something I like.

·
Registered
9,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have about reached my limit. There are a couple I would like to have, and a couple I wouldn't mind letting go of, so it evens out. I am pretty OCD about my guns and wipe them down and inspect everything for rust twice a year. I wouldn't want so many that it becomes a full time job. I really have all I need, a gun for all occasions, but its nice to have something different once in a while
Same here if I buy one I let one go.

·
Registered
3,999 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,809 Posts
Things were more interesting when I was young and broke. I'd be at the LGS imagining how great it would be to have so many different guns. Now I'm older, have a couple bucks in my pocket and a safe full of guns... but when I go to the LGS it's like.. eh.. whatever.

That said, I'm not getting rid of any of my guns. Well, maybe a couple 22s. Motorcycle and guns will remain till the end. I don't care even if there comes a time when I cannot ride or shoot. They're staying! A least they'll be there to polish while I sip a beer... or just to look at.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
I only have a handful of guns .. well much more than I need but not quite a collection. I dont buy anything purely to own and look at so .. I guess its not a collection but an assemblage, a bunch LOL :)

Depending on the Guns your friend owns .. it could be a nice little emergency fund that is harder to piss away than cash in the bank?? When all else fails and you have run through money its not liquid so it doesnt spend easy but can be rolled often for more than you paid

I used to have TOOOO much money tied up in watches. In 2008 when my economic world changed .. it was nice to be able to sell them off and have a tidy sum to hold us over until we planned our next move. Were it hard cash in the bank it may have disappeared with the rest of the hard cash.

Like my watches .. he gets to enjoy using and owning them until the day comes he has to part with them. Cant really say the same for cash but you can for SOME toys.

Edited to correct a lie I didn't know I committed!

Ok .. I dont hunt and probably never will and I have some trouble justifying my new Henry .. it might be a collection thing!! ")

·
Premium Member
309 Posts
My gun show buddy and I are always looking for those special hen’s teeth and unicorn horn specimens. I’ve got several S&W revolvers and a fair run of reproduction lever guns. Right now I’m looking for mint condition early hand ejectors in .32 s&w, some later model 10 (and pre model 10 M&p) with some specific markings, and a P38 made by Walther with Nazi marks. Those are all among a large group I had to sell for Dr bills over the years. With luck I’ll never find them, but I still enjoy the hunt!

Edited. I dearly love autocorrect, it makes mssages so much more interesting.

·
Registered
9,139 Posts
I have a few, and could use a few more.....:) See its all good for you guys, I lived over the other side of the pond, I have some catching up to work on ....:)

thewelshm

·
Registered
22,148 Posts
I am considering letting 6 handguns go because I really don't shoot them much and I have other handguns I prefer to shoot more frequently. But I still like looking and if I find a good deal on something I may still pull the trigger to add it to the collection.;)

·
Premium Member
1,672 Posts
I'm satisfied with my four for now, one reason really can't afford any others. 686 trigger has smoothed out nice and shot the center out of the targets today with 5906 & 124gr FMJ. 6 yr old Shield is still going strong and M&P FS is ok , it would go before the others

1 - 20 of 42 Posts