Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
a Smith 28-2 that has been converted to 45 ACP with a 6" 1955 Smith bbl? I already own a 28-2 in the original 357 mag chambering so one in a different chambering would allow shooting a second gun that "feels" like the first one. I think the price would be very reasonable and the owner says that the gun is in top condition mechanically. What say ye?

·
Premium Member
12,312 Posts
No.

Reactions: TTSH

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
Yes, if the price was right, I'd buy it.

But, I personally like the 1950 barrel with the narrow rib on the 28 frame.
The wider rib of the 1955 barrel will generally leaves a gap where the corners of the frame are clipped.

Here's a couple pics of 28s with a narrow rib converted to 45 lc/acp dual cylinder,

·
Administrator
8,502 Posts
I would buy it IF the conversion was done properly. Someone would have to machine the cylinder to accept moon clips, or be replaced entirely. But as someone else said, I wouldn't want to pay a lot for it. Still, that frame size would be great for 45 acp.

·
Registered
10,166 Posts
I personally like the 1950 barrel with the narrow rib on the 28 frame.
The wider rib of the 1955 barrel will generally leaves a gap where the corners of the frame are clipped.

Here's a couple pics of 28s with a narrow rib converted to 45 lc/acp dual cylinder,

Hey Dave,

Now ya done it!

What I need do? To get adopted?

I LIKE THAT! (y)

The PERFECT REVOLVER! Two of the BEST CALIBERS...all in one pkg! (y)(y)(y):cool:
:LOL:(y):cool:

230 LRN in the ACP fer quick reloading.

255gr LSWC in the LC fer serious WORK... (like them obstinate/super heavy BOWLING PINS in the late Sunday Afternoon...fer all the "marbles")

I'm thinkin' ya'll need to send it here.........fer ya'll let it go & get all sKratChed up...like them other SUPER FINE revolvers of yourn....:D

Just PM me...when ya'll 'r' a needin' the mailin' address.....n such....

I kin makes all kinds a room fer that.

(did I say? happen to have a 1050 set up in 45acp...with the 45LC "conversion?? ) Be able to keep both cylinders fed...:coffee:(y)

Yer soon to be adopted/fellow REVOLVER ENTHUSIAST!

Later, Mark

Reactions: Curt360 and jeepnut

·
Registered
10,166 Posts
Hey Dave,

OH MY! (y) :coffee:

You ever want to get rid of that..........................I'll start muggin' drug dealers.....to raise cash...:cool:

Later, Mark

·
Registered
30,200 Posts
Would be something to consider. Any pics of the converted 28 you speak of?

Reactions: msharley

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
No. .45 ACP is John Browning's rimless, smokeless powder version of the .45 Colt. I see no advantage over the good old .45 Colt (that can be load hotter) & doesn't need moon clips.
Well, for one thing, I can use the same ammo in either my Sig 220 or in this one! Also, with the moon clips, it can be reloaded faster. I intend to use this in steel plate matches where speedy reloading is important! However, I do agree with you that the 45 Colt is a great cartridge.

·
Registered
10,166 Posts
Hey 51,

Wow!

You did really good!

Later, Mark

Reactions: jeepnut
1 - 20 of 33 Posts