Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
2,792 Posts
Well, IIRC, you are probably right in the ballpark. I think it is newer than 1922, based on the Made in USA mark, and it is definitely pre-WWII based on the mushroom style ejector rod knob.
The SN puts it in the mid range of the 1915-1942 serial number ranges of 241,704 (1915) to 700,000 (1942).
The wood stocks are far newer than the gun - they are newer than 1968 when the diamond around the screw disappeared. Probably from late 1970's to early 1980's.
The nickel finish looks original and in good condition.
Nice old 6 shooter.

·
Registered
6,817 Posts
The general thinking is that 500000 shipped around 1926-7. The ejector rod end became barrel shaped, the sights got thicker and the grips gained a medallion in the 1928-9 period.

Value: My experience with this model, in production continuously since 1899 is that unless is it is correct in every respect, has desired markings (usually military), is a snub, is a 3 incher...... Its worth what you can get for it. You can surf Gunbroker etc. for ideas but I would look at actual and comparable sales.

·
Premium Member
20,718 Posts
Welcome to the forums from the Wiregrass! Your gun is a .38 Special Model of 1905, 4th Change, square butt K frame. It is commonly called the .38 Military & Police revolver which is how S&W marketed it from the early 1920's. Since 1899, S&W has made about 7 million of them so it is hard to find one that is rare and pristine enough to bring substantial value. Most collectors would term your gun a "shooter," meaning it has little collector value but does have value as a working gun. I'd say it would bring $300 to $350 at sale depending on where you are because gun values are regional. The magna grips on it are much newer than the gun but I would leave them on (or put on some elk stags) because they offer a much more ergonomic hand grip than the originals. This gun is the ancestor of the currently manufactured Model 10 but it has a long throw action, as opposed to the modern short throw action, and an early, less effective version of the safety hammer block. Even though it is a 1920's model, it is robustly designed to shoot a standard version of the .38 Special which today is called +P. Before WWII, S&W warranted these guns to shoot .38 High Velocity which at 1100 fps was an early version of the magnum cartridge. IOW, don't sweat the ammo. Just buy and shoot what you can get.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts