Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday at the range we were exercising some .44 magnum Rugers and .22 s.a.'s.
My range partner had 'scored' this ginormous box of Remington .22 at a REAL cheap price...
Using my S&W M-46, which will cycle almost any .22lr ammo without a hitch, I managed to jam it up three times in ONE magazine-load ! kubvcabo
My pal did the same thing with his Browning match pistol.
With approximately 499 rounds remaining, we determined this crap is probably just fine for revolver-fodder, but that's it.
Beware of so-called 'good' deals...
I won't even get into the Winchester 'white box' SJHP .44 magnum ammunition.
Seems as if the brass was formed under a railroad-car truck, grit and all.
What junk!
You get what you pay for.
CCI forever!
Don

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Don,

i feel your pain. I'm sure you have a revolver around that you can put to use making empties with? ;)

I had that happen with a "good deal" I got on some 357 lead bullets. When they arrive most of the lube had melted and they were all stuck together in 100 pack ingots.

Anybody want them to recast? :oops:

Chris

·
Registered
668 Posts
Years ago I got a 'REAL DEAL' on some extra-el-cheapo Russian 22 ammo : "Junior" IIRC....

In less than a 50-box, they managed to jam up a ruger MkII twice AND a revolver!!! The most incredibly dirty cartridge round I have ever shot....

I still have a box or 2 laying around....

·
Registered
570 Posts
thats like me..i got a "fantastic" deal on PMC .223 ammo..... 2500 rounds for 250 bucks.... got the stuff home broke open the big old cardbord box...... most of it looked like it had been run over with a forklift... crushed & mangled cases.... and all with a really nice shade of green coloring on the brass...... kufO
like Don said...you get what you pay for.......

and Chris..... your 357 bullets...... just pop them on a cookie sheet..... stick them in the oven and they will all come apart......just relube and reload as normal..

·
Registered
10,918 Posts
Years ago {'79-'80} we bought cheap 22 ammo at the "Yellow Front" store. The stuff was made in the Phillipines {IIRC}, and I swear it was loaded with black powder. Nasty, cruddy stuff. Kind of like going to the "El Cheapo" all you can eat place, the food stinks, but it is all you can eat

·
Registered
19,775 Posts
Guys......you get what you pay for....in ammo, like everything else. I finally shot up the last of some bummer Winchester Value-Pack ammo, that wouldn't shoot in all my guns. (I complained about this stuff a couple months ago! :x ) It ain't a bargain in my book!!!!

I'll stick with CCI Mini-Mags and Wincherter SUPER X .22's, in the 100 rd. boxes from now on. They cost $6.50 a pop at WALMART, and I have to go to Vermont to get them, right now. But, I was told by a kid in the Hadley WALMART, just across the river from home, that they have applied for a new license to sell ammo.

weiweinp ;) Bob

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
kritter said:
and Chris..... your 357 bullets...... just pop them on a cookie sheet..... stick them in the oven and they will all come apart......just relube and reload as normal..

thanks Kritter. But I think I'd rather get rid of them to someone who can melt them down and remold them.

:)

·
Registered
15 Posts
This reminds me of some military surplus 5.56 ammo that sold several years ago. I was advertised as "if it will chamber it will fire" and "outside storage". Turns out it was pick up ammo from the rifle range, dug out of the dirt, but washed off. Some of the cases were bent, and or tarnished, but if it chambered it fired. Not quite what I expected.

From now on I buy processed military brass.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
I know I'm posting this well after the fact, but I was reading thru and couldn't resist -- DHenry, if that "Remington" stuff is in a green box, I can tell you chapter and verse!

Gotta a heckuva price on a brick of it. Hoo boy, is it bad --so bad that I have to take issue with the advice to use it in revolvers. It seems to come from the factory with a waxy covering on every round. Causes the cases to hang up on extraction in my M17. Don't know if I'll ever get around to shooting up all of it. Just too much hassle.

Bill

·
Super Moderator
8,955 Posts
Are we talking about Golden bullets? If so dang! I have a box I haven't used yet. I'm going to take them with me next time I hit the range. IIRC they were pretty good when I used them years ago.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I guess it just depends on what your shooting it out of. I shot a few hundred rounds of the Remington Golden bullet 550 round bulk pack, out of my Walther P22 without a single malfunction or Jam.

·
Registered
3 Posts
kritter said:
thats like me..i got a "fantastic" deal on PMC .223 ammo..... 2500 rounds for 250 bucks.... got the stuff home broke open the big old cardbord box...... most of it looked like it had been run over with a forklift... crushed & mangled cases.... and all with a really nice shade of green coloring on the brass...... kufO
like Don said...you get what you pay for.......

oh, haha. What a goog comment :) :) :)

House MD DVD Box Sets
Weeds DVD Box Set
Doctor Who DVD Complete Seasons 1-4 Box Set
Mash dvd complete seasons 1-11 box set
CSI DVD set
Boston Legal DVD box set
Star Trek dvd box SET

1 - 13 of 13 Posts