Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
9,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For a belt holster handgun as my woods walk companion, I prefer a 357 magnum. I have two to choose from. If I'm going to be mostly on open trail where there is good light, chances are I'll grab my old 5-screw
Highway Patrolman.

If cloudy or planning on being in the deep shade of the forest, I'LL grab my 686-6, with Hi-Viz front and rear express sight. It does have the advantage of a five inch barrel and is a seven shooter.

The Hi-Viz sights are quick to pick up in the shade, where the dull finish on the Highway Patrolman in the sunshine is a plus.

I'd like to see, or hear, what your choice is for your woods walk or outdoors carry would be.

G

·
0 Posts
Mine isn't a S&W...It's a Ruger .41 Mag Accusport Bisley with a 5.5 inch barrel.

giz

·
Registered
3,421 Posts
My first and most often carried is my 624 with the handloads of 250 grain Lyman #429421 and 7.5 grains of Unique

When in bear country, my M29 with handloads of the 250 grain Lyman #429421 and 10.0 grains of Unique.

·
Super Moderator
10,857 Posts
Mine looks just like Giz's. Only mine is blue. And 4 5/8" barrel. Oh and not a Bisley. And the hammer is different. But other than that, exactly like Giz's.

:mrgreen:

·
Registered
19,792 Posts
For woods carry, I either take my .38 spl. M-67 (4" bbl. of course) or my .357 M-66 2 1/2". If I'm hunting, I usually have the ol' 20 ga. too!
;) Bob

·
Registered
415 Posts
Gizamo said:
Mine isn't a S&W...It's a Ruger .41 Mag Accusport Bisley with a 5.5 inch barrel.

giz
Just who or what is Accusport? I see many Rugers listed as such and have to plead ignorant about them.
Steve

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Ah, well, we don't have too many trees down here in the desert SW. *Sigh* Out in the Peach Orchard I carry a 1911A1. Never know when those damned peaches will attack. But, don't worry, folks. A 230 grain full metal jacketed slug will stop a peach in its tracks. Plug that sucker right through the pit.

G

·
0 Posts
QC's got that one right. Center mass double tap right in the pit, only way to go.

My biggest concern up here are the Chickadee's. Souless eyes starin' at you ~ you never know when they'll attack. They travel in packs and are constantly circling you. I've yet to work up a good 500 Mag load for them. They are so fast that you can't tell if you got them or missed. Either way they just disappear. ;)

End of Transmission...

giz

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
For woodsloafing, I carry my 4" 45 ACP N frame, usually with Lyman 454423 in it. I am also working up a load for a 235 grain full wadcutter (SAECO 453).

If hunting, I usually have a 6" 25-5, with a 255 Keith bullet over a full case of black powder.

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
I like the 22 for just walking in the woods. I like to keep them out of sights and this IWB holster works well with the 622 or the 422.
kfjdrfirii

·
Registered
9,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Jim, you bring up a good point about carrying concealed while in the woods. When I know I will be sharing the woods with others, by that I mean it is most likely I will be encountering others. I prefer to carry concealed.

My weaponry changes for concealed carry. I revert to my old S&W Model 13-1, and carry it in a inside the waist holster. I usually carry at least one quick reload and a Case Guard-18, ammo wallet.

·
Registered
10,448 Posts
Not many close-by woods, but lot's of desert, so that will have to do. When I go out scouting or walking, I take my Ruger P90 with a nylon holster that can carry an extra magazine. I especially carry this when we visit some land we own down in Cochise County where illegals are often "spawning"! kfjdrfirii

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
In the woods, either this;

or this;

the top is my 28, bottom is my Blackhawk in 45Colt

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Gizamo said:

giz

I've seen that one before!!

I just carry a 1911 of some make or other but only if its a Baer. :p

·
Registered
19,792 Posts
Drew........you been hangin' around QC too much!!!!!! :lol: Bob

1 - 20 of 21 Posts