Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My recent purchase, Mod 10-5 has orig grips but right one is discolored due to a right hand prior owner. Is there a way to remove the hand oils from this grip so left n right match?

·
Registered
11,833 Posts
If you are just trying to clean, not refinish, I spray the grips with Simple Green or another degreaser household spray and brush them good with my wifes tooth brush. Rinse crud off at sink and towel dry. Allow another couple hours dry time in a warm place before installing

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
I would go from mild to wild. Why not try some Murphys oil soap and some elbow grease first before moving on to other cleaners. I guess the leather guy in me wants to stay away from drying stuff if I can avoid it. Sometimes you just have to strip it but ... murphys isnt to expensive and there are a thousand uses for it so ??

·
Registered
363 Posts
If you are just trying to clean, not refinish, I spray the grips with Simple Green or another degreaser household spray and brush them good with my wifes tooth brush. Rinse crud off at sink and towel dry. Allow another couple hours dry time in a warm place before installing
Only use wifes toothbrush. No other family member(LOL).

·
Premium Member
2,761 Posts
The darkening can either be surface accumulation or if the finish is worn, in the wood fibers itself.

No need to start right off with a "scorch the earth" approach and resort to an acetone strip and refinish.

Start with a cleaning with good 'ol plain mineral spirits to see if the discoloration is just a surface build up of burnt powder residue and oil. It will not affect the factory finish and will degrease/de-oil.

Stay away from water based cleaners, you don't want to risk having it get into the wood via worn spots in the finish, which could cause issues with undermining the finish causing it to lift/peel.

One trick that I use is to flood the grip panel with mineral spirits and then use saw dust to draw the mineral spirits and dissolved oil out of the wood. Sometimes after this is done, I use a 50/50 mix of Tru-Oil and thinner to rub on a light "spit coat" of finish with my finger to "spruce up" thin or worn spots in the original finish if it's largely intact. On the checkered area, less is better, a tooth brush sparsely wet with the thinned Tru-oil is all it takes, nothing looks worse than checkering that's clogged with too much/too thick finish.

If oil has gotten embedded into the wood fiber, then you're looking at a potential strip, degrease with acetone and refinish.

·
Registered
8,986 Posts
I would go from mild to wild. Why not try some Murphys oil soap and some elbow grease first before moving on to other cleaners. I guess the leather guy in me wants to stay away from drying stuff if I can avoid it. Sometimes you just have to strip it but ... murphys isnt to expensive and there are a thousand uses for it so ??

THIS

thewelshm

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
If you are not going to refinish and just removing body oil build up, try WD-40 as a cleaning solvent. As crazy as this sounds it works and won't harm the original finish.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts