Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wish me luck
I like these type phone calls. Out of the blue.
A friend just gave me a call. He has a model 25.
So far all I know it has a pinned barrel and short barrel So it's worth looking at.
I'm going to check it out in a few hours. I'm told it's a 98% + firearm. These type descriptions are usually fuzzy at best.
Maybe Pic's later

It was too nice to pass up. I need to clean it up. 4" 25-5
N678xxx

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Re: Wish me luck

Good luck with that... I hope it's everything you hoped for, and more.

·
Registered
142 Posts

Good luck! I'd love to see photos.

·
Registered
6,488 Posts

"Short Barrels" and "Model 25" don't go togeather.... Standard and all Cataloged .45 ACP Models 25's, 25-2's were 6 or 6 1/2" guns. 25-5's in (.45 Colt) were however available in 3 1/2", 4", 5", 6" and 8 3/8" from the factory....

Many 25-2's were cut down to make 'Belt Guns'. While slick, they have no collector's value. The factory did make a very few shorter barrelled 25-2's (mostly 4" guns) on special order, and these were almost always S-Serial Numbered Guns in the S-150,000-S180,000 range, and will be marked "Mod.25"

Good Luck and let us know how you make out.

Drew

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Guys
Thanks for the Luck I sure could use some.
Drew
Thanks for the descriptions. Your info sure will help me. The guy who has the gun does not know much about firearms. My guess it may be a 25-5 with a 3 1/2 or 4" barrel. At least I hope it is. Anyway If I get it, I will post a pic. I hope it's not some chopped up junk.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts

Yeah, I like surprizes like that. I hope it comes in .45 Colt. Maybe you don't, but I'd latch on to it if it did. Love that caliber!

Good luck!

·
Registered
6,488 Posts

toroflow said:
I've never heard of a 3.5" 25-5...unless of course it was one of those "bubba" jobs that Jovino did.
Actually I was thinking of the Hortons.

Here's Bubba Jovino's work...

Apologies to N-Frame... this is actually his gun.... but if I get my way, it will soon be mine!

hpzl;n;

·
Registered
1,057 Posts

Jim, a 4" 25-5 is a joy to behold. I know everyone is probably getting tired of looking at it by now, but this was the result of a trade gone right...for a change. I traded a 4506 staight across. Of course, prior to that I foolishly traded a NIB 19-4 for the 4506...oops. At least I only paid $350 for the 19 so that is some consolation. ;)

Keep us posted...and good luck!

·
Registered
1,057 Posts

Nframe said:
I figured a pic of it would pop up!!

:mrgreen:
Chris, whatever Drew offers I'll give 2 pounds of moose meat more! :mrgreen:

·
Registered
6,488 Posts

I'll see your two pounds of moosemeat (frozen no doubt) and raise you one fresh shot, seed fed wild turkey! ;)

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Very nice! Don't shoot those 9mm rounds through it though...even if they're not +P :mrgreen:

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Chris
Thanks for the tip. I was planning to go to the range with another gun. But my plans changed. Maybe Monday I'll find the time. And I will be able to shoot the 25-5.

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
Well Done, but I think you're missing a digit in your indications of the Serial Number.

Cush is onto something however. 25-5's are one of the few examples of Modern Smiths wherein the non-pinned production guns are more desirable than the pinned examples of the same model.

This due to the fact that about the same time the pin was dropped the dimensions in the cylinder throats were re engineered to more closely match that of the barrel.

To me, that's mostly hokum as I've never owned or shot a 25-5 that was either extremely good, or extremely bad. They are simply very good, practical, capable if somewhat heavy belt guns that can get any realistic job you would attempt with a handgun done. And done right now.

You did very well.

Drew

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Drew
I think I did ok on this one. No missing digits on the Ser# which is N678XXX it's an N with six digits. I may have to play with a load for the gun. I going to hand load anyway. With a little trial an error. I'll load up some thing that should shoot ok.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts