Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is about a half-mile from my house. Thankfully, this land isn't suitable for any type of development. My dogs and I hike here and the surrounding ponds and woods on an almost daily basis in the winter. I can count on one hand the number of times I've seen another human down here. I wouldn't have it any other way.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Spent my youth in a similar spot, frequented by nesting grest Blue herons, ducks, red wing blackbirds, white tail, and the odd moose. I can hear and smell it still.

·
Banned
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Spent my youth in a similar spot, frequented by nesting grest Blue herons, ducks, red wing blackbirds, white tail, and the odd moose. I can hear and smell it still.
Marshes and swampy areas do have their own unique smell, don't they? It's sort of a rich fecund smell to me. I see herons, Canada geese, wood ducks, and some types of ducks that I don't know what they are. The herons stand so still in the water that I often don't even see them until they fly away. I've yet to get a decent photo of one. Hawks and buzzards of course. Lots of raccoons and possums. I've caught glimpses of coyotes and red foxes. The coyotes appear and disappear in the blink of an eye, with the one exception of one that followed my dogs and me in plain sight for a long ways. I have some photos of him buried somewhere in this computer. The only real game animal I've seen are deer. It wouldn't surprise me if an ol' black bear showed up now and again, but I've never seen one or any bear tracks.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts