Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
21,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Boy....was I surprised! :eek: I shot over 100 rounds at a 50' .22 target. I sighted in first, expecting to disappointed. BUT.....it performed like a champ!!!! Except for the 3 sight in shots, all the others consistently patterned tightly around in the 1" bullseye. I even had a number of "one ragged hole" around the X in the center! :shock: (Unusual for me. :roll: ) This is cheap ammo....that shot like target ammo in my Savage Mark I with cheap BSA 4X scope. That's headshots on squirrels.

Clean-up was dirtier, because of lead HPHV bullets, pushed to higher velocity. I actually like this stuff. I never shot this well.....with any ammo/gun combo, my eyes aren't too good, and I'm not too steady, either. No duds, misfires, or squib loads in the box .....so far! ;) just nice, consistent, strong and sharp BANG!!!! I had NO trouble at all!Bob

G

·
It's good clean ammo. :)

I hate the Remington bulk pack ammo. It's just plain filthy most of the time. Can't figure out why Remington does that. Real turn off.

giz

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
I always use the federal 550 packs. I tried the remington bulk again not long ago and it is not only dirty I got a lot of them wouldnt go off.I never tried the winchesters before but the federals make tight groups like described and they always fire.
Before I used to by nothing but cci mini mags until I decided they were getting to proud of them.

·
Registered
21,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have used Federal Bulk pack the most. But, they were out of them, but had one box of Winchester. Lately, within the last year, I have noticed some squib loads in the Federal box. It's not as good as it used to be. Finding the Winchesters was just a lucky break, I guess. :roll: Bob

·
Registered
7,808 Posts
I've had great luck with Winchester's 36 gr. plated HP's (1,280 FPS). They're bulk packing them in "333 Round" packs versus the classic 500 rd. bricks; go figure this one.

Right now they're $12 at Academy sports or on line from Midway USA.

Great plinking or hunting rounds!

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
I am glad to find out the winchesters are pretty good.Gives me another option.But will never buy any more remington unless they say they have improved them or something. But they do make good ammo in there yellow jackets and centerfire. I have used there corelocks exclusively in my old 350 mag for many years and it performs flawlessly.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Winchester Xpert works in everything I've tried it in except two firearms. The first is a Winchester Model 74 - just something about the bullet profile that causes them to hang up every once in a while. Federal Auto Match cures the problem. I've started using them in almost every semi-auto that I shoot.

The second is in a Colt Police Positive Target. After about 30 shots it begins to drag and I have to scrub the cylinder face and the barrel tenon. Then it works okay again for another 30 shots. Any plated bullet solves the problem.

Winchester Xpert is good stuff.

·
Registered
21,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sometime this week, I intend to try some Win. Xpert in the
semi-autos....a Ruger 10/22 and Walther P22. If it works, (Fed. Bulk didn't feed right. :roll: ) it means that I won't have to buy the $6.50/100 CCI Mini-Mags as much. It'll cut the cost of shooting .22's by more than 1/2. I'm hoping...... :roll: Bob

·
Registered
18 Posts
Federal 550 bulk packs are my go-to .22 ammo, but I have used the Winchester XpertHV with good results in most of my rifles. The lead is a little soft and occasionally hangs up feeding in my 22/45 or the 10/22, but the bolt gun does great with it. Little bit dirtier than the plated stuff.

At this point, though, if it goes bang, I'm happy.

·
Registered
21,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My primary use for the bulk .22 ammo, is to use in my semi-autos. I can just burn through it, at low cost. If it doesn't work......what good is it? In my M-17 and Savage MK.1, I use the CCI ammo, for more accuracy and for more serious pursuits. The bulk stuff is fine for just plinking. Bob

·
Registered
21,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well.......the Winchester bulk loads don't work any better in my semi-autos, than the CCI. :x Bummer!!! Now, I'll have to use it up in my S&W M-17 and Savage MK. 1. Guess I'll just have to stick with the good stuff. :roll: Bob

·
Super Moderator
11,419 Posts
Bob, if that P22 of yours is anything like my old one, it will not want to run on anything less than mini-mag or the like. I got rid of mine for that very reason. And that was way before the cost of rimfire ammo spiked.

·
Registered
21,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Forester, I don't shoot the P22 much.....and, I've given it to my wife for her birthday. It's the perfect size for her small hands, and it's light weight, makes it easy for her to handle. While she doesn't shoot much, she has expressed an interest in getting a pistol permit. So, after a Basic Handgun class at the gun club, she'll be ready to "Lock and Load"! ;) Bob

·
Registered
21,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I took my M-17 to the range with this Winchester ammo. It was pure crap!!!! At 50' on the indoor range, I routinely got groups of 2".....from a rest. NOT GOOD!!! Granted.......I'm not the best revolver shot....but, this was from a bench rest. :roll:

I left the rest on the table at the range. I have NO use for this crap!!!! If I have to spend $6.50/100 for CCI MiniMags, so be it!!!! At least I will know that they work in all my .22's......and they are accurate. I can't stand lousy guns ...or ammo!!!! :x Bob

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
I've been having alot of luck with Winchester Wildcats and the Blaser in my 10/22. Shoots disgustingly smallish groups with not a single failure to feed. Haven't tried it in my Supermatic , it only eats Tenex( Still have five or so bricks out of a case I got cheap from a gunstore going out of business).

Ditto on the Remington, I've even had trouble with their premium-grade 'Golden-22s'. I believe the best rimfire they made was the old Thunderbolts. Can't find any anymore.

·
Registered
21,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Just to be clear about this ammo. It is the bulk Winchester .22 rimfire Xpert HV with lead hp's. It is not the plated type. (Not to be confused with Super X .22 ammo, which is on par with CCI MiniMags.) I am not getting any squibs, just failure to feed/failure to eject from the semi-auto's that I own. It works pretty good in my revolvers and bolt action .22's. Bob

1 - 20 of 25 Posts