Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found a nice 1894 Winchester 30WCF from about 1913. Bore was excellent after a good cleaning. 22" Octagon barrel. Was wondering if anyone knows of a resource for info on the old carrying cases for these guns?

giz

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
Giz,

Get yourself a copy of Geo Madis' seminal work "The Winchester Book".

With your new penchant for Winchesters you should have one of these resources. While this book dwells mostly on the guns, it has sections on sights and accessories like leather.

I've worn the covers off two of these books since the early 1970's. I have a fresh copy now and you can take a look when you come by.

Drew

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
Giz,

All the ones that I've seen looked like this - unpadded leather-reinforced canvas with two pockets and a leather suitcase handle:
http://www.antiquearmsinc.com/images/wi ... ble-32.jpg

I had a similar one for a M-12 shotgun. It was made of the same unpadded canvas, but with one pocket and one strap enclosure. It had a partition sewn down the middle - R side was for the barrel and tubular magazine assembly and the L side was for the action and buttstock.

I've also heard that Winchester would furnish "Leg-o-mutton" style hard leather cases for takedown rifles and shotguns, but I've never seen one.

I love takedowns - particularly Winchesters! I've had several Winchester TDs and currently have a TD Marlin 1893. (The Marlin originally came with a case similar to the one pictured above.) If you leave 'em assembled and let the action get "shot-in", they are usually very accurate. If you frequently break 'em down and set 'em up before shooting - and expect 'em to be as accurate as a solid one-piece example, you'll be disappointed.

xtm

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
c. ~ Drew ~ and xtm...

Thanks guys...

I've always wanted to build a case for my NR Davis MaxiMin Shotgun, but hesitated as I wanted a rifle to travel with it. Given what I do for a living, I think I can do justice for a case for two guns. I kind of want to emulate what the guides around the turn of the century use to call - Sports - railroad carry hunting cases...

Drew will know when I say the kind of case that a gent would carry on the Narrow Gauge up to Rangeley from the city.. ;)

giz

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
Hell with the Railroad.... I'm going by Steamship.

After Ice-Out that is....

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
xtm,

That's the idea...the Browning is slightly more affordable.. ;)

giz

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
Looking forward to seeing what comes out of your shop!

The "motor" cases would fit nicely under the passenger seat of a train. I've seen similar "wagon" cases fashioned from wood by a cabinetmaker for TD single shot schuetzen rifles like Maynards and Win. Hi-Walls. Shooters have always wanted sturdy and safe ways to transport their fine firearms and protect them from the rough handling of porters and baggage-men.

Several years ago, I saw a thread on the cast bullet forum where folks showed off their "wagon" cases for transporting their Shiloh-Sharps to-and-from the various BPCR shoots. (I searched for a short while with no luck.) Most were nicely fashioned from plywood, but several were built like fine wood cabinetry with latigo trim. For a non-takedown rifle, they seemed ponderously large - thus illustrating the benefits of the handy take-down traveling hunter models offered by the gunmakers of the 19th/20th Century Golden Age of Firearms.

xtm

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
A $3500 carry case? Thank goodness I never got serious about Winchester collecting. ;) I simply can't afford it. Plus Winchester collectors are weird... kihfL

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
Cush said:
.... Plus Winchester collectors are weird... kihfL
Hey, HEY, HEY!

I resemble that remark! :lol:

Actually, this is a pretty good time to start an entry level Winchester Lever Collection... prices are generally down and the guns are surfacing everywhere. Watch for fakes however.... there are some pretty skilled, practiced frauds out there that are making up guns Winchester never did....

Drew

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Agree with Drew...

I've never seen so many quality Winchesters come onto the market at the same time. I passed on a 1892 Saddle Ring Carbine in high condition yesterday. It was in 25-20 and was the Eastern version. Basically about half it's value on the asking price...!!!
95% gun...

I may have to circle back and get her... ;)

giz

1 - 13 of 13 Posts