Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A buddy of mine is looking to buy a Winchester 74 and had a couple of questions that I couldn't answer. I was reading some info on the 74 and it stated that it could handle .22 Short or .22 Long Rifle. Does that mean that the same gun can shoot either round, or is the gun able to shoot only one or the other (depending on how the gun is labeled) or can it shoot either round?
Also, nothing I have read about the rifle mentions .22 Long. Does the mean it can't chamber/fire the Longs? It's kinda confusing. Does anyone have any experience or knowledge about these guns? Thanx.

Sent from my Commodore 64 running Windoze 95

·
Registered
21,500 Posts
On the barrel should be marked the caliber. Should say 22 LR, L, S and will shoot Long Rifle, Long, or shorts. I have a Winchester marked 22 Short only. That is the best way to determine the ammo that it can shoot. If it says 22 LR and not the others then 22 LR is only ammo for it.

·
Premium Member
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
On the barrel should be marked the caliber. Should say 22 LR, L, S and will shoot Long Rifle, Long, or shorts. I have a Winchester marked 22 Short only. That is the best way to determine the ammo that it can shoot. If it says 22 LR and not the others then 22 LR is only ammo for it.
Thanx for your reply. I have an old Winchester 67 that's labeled Short, Long, or LR and it can shoot any of the three, but that's a bolt action and the 74 is semi-auto. I wasn't aware that any semis were made for .22 Shorts. I have a couple of semi-auto .22 pistols and they are LR only, guessing that the pressure of the Short is insufficient to cycle the action.
Also, I'm wondering that IF the same 74 gun can shoot both the Short and LR, why no mention of the Long? Is it possible that one version of the gun is built for Shorts only and another is made for LR only? The link below is just one reference that I found.

·
Premium Member
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have a Winchester 74 and it is only marked 22 short only. There is one for 22 Long only.
View attachment 487481
Nice looking rifle you have there, but now I'm even more confuzzled. So if you include the Longs in that list it means there are 3 variants/versions? One for Shorts, one for Longs, and one for LR? What would be the purpose in that? And what would be the difference in the actions (or whatever) to allow only one specific ctg. to be fired in each one, and why? I can't seem to figger this out.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Easiest way to find out is to check the roll markings on the barrel. Generally the old Winchesters will say, "Short, Long, L Rifle" or "S, L, LR" if they will handle all three. If it says "Short" only then the chamber is only reamed for that cartridge and won't handle Longs or Long Rifles, however sometimes the roll markings are close to the stock and you may only be able to see the top line (Short) while the Long, L Rifle is obscured by the wood. Note that when shooting Shorts through a semi-auto you could experience cycling problems and leading/carbon buildup at the front of the chamber unless it is truly a Short only gun.

Hector

Reactions: 5150

·
Premium Member
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Easiest way to find out is to check the roll markings on the barrel. Generally the old Winchesters will say, "Short, Long, L Rifle" or "S, L, LR" if they will handle all three. If it says "Short" only then the chamber is only reamed for that cartridge and won't handle Longs or Long Rifles, however sometimes the roll markings are close to the stock and you may only be able to see the top line (Short) while the Long, L Rifle is obscured by the wood. Note that when shooting Shorts through a semi-auto you could experience cycling problems and leading/carbon buildup at the front of the chamber unless it is truly a Short only gun.

Hector
Yeah, I was wondering if there was enuf pressure in the Shorts to cycle the action. I know I can't shoot da Shorts in my Ruger MK III bcuz of that.

·
Premium Member
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Hector
Yeah, I was wondering if there was enuf pressure in the Shorts to cycle the action. I know I can't shoot da Shorts in my Ruger MK III bcuz of that.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts