Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It is the Supreme Elite class but no info on the website yet. I bought a box of 40s&w for $21.99 for 20 rounds. The guy behind the counter said it did well on tests as far as penetration through sheet rock and expansion and blah blah blah. Anyways I can't find any info on it. It's a 180gr jhp that says the lead is bonded to the jacket. Anyone know where to find info?

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Found it on their website under New Products. James

·
Registered
429 Posts
Ha Jamn,

Strange you mention the PDX1s. I was looking on the Win site last night about the Ranger LEO ammo for my M&P 40c and saw the PDX1 info. On another thread Jose was mentioning the Rangers. So I was checking them out, I think the PDX1s are as good or better if the bonding thing works as advertised, and since we can get them in 180s, vs the 155 in the Silvertips I got, is a big deal to me.

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
If they could safely get the 180's to the same velocity of the 155's I'd try them.

Unfortunately based on what I've seen of all the 180's, the ammo companies seem to be slowing them down compared to the lightweights. That's natural I guess. The 40 S&W is not a 10mm Norma.

I've seen wounds made with the Fed-Spec .40 R-P 155 grn conventional JHP's and in my opinion you'd have to go a long, long way to improve upon that.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Drew, so what you're saying is that these newer 180s may not expand as well as the hotter 155s like the Silvertips. How would these compare in penetraion through autoglass? So how do these compare to the Rangers in 180 or 165?

Dave

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
Dave,

I have no idea how well the 180's stack up against auto glass or sheet metal. Haven't played with them much and probably won't until my supplies of 155's are gone.

I can say this.... the 155's do an okay job on car doors and flat auto glass. They are wicked on soft tissue, and explosive when they hit bone.

The new Speer Fed Spec 180 Gold Dots haven't been in Fed service long enough amongst folks at this end of the world (they began issue in Q2;2009) so there isn't much data available here. However, anecdotal field reports so far are not bad, but not as positive it seems as the 155's.

One good thing though is that the 180's don't seem to Kaaaa-booom Glock 22's, 23's and 27's like the 155's have done in the past.

I have no experience with W-W Rangers or Ranger SXT in either weight.

Drew

·
Registered
429 Posts
Drew thanks for the info.

I have the 155s now, I'm in hunting mode now anyway, so won't worry about it for now. If I need SD while hunting I think the 44 mag 240s will do OK.

Dave

·
Registered
429 Posts
Jamn,

Did you try out those PDX1s?

I stopped at Jays Sporting in Clare Mich on way home from upnorth and found some there and got 3 boxes 40cal @ $20.99. I might get to try them this wknd.

Dave

·
Registered
429 Posts
Jamn,

I got to shoot up a box of the 180 gr .40 PDX1s I got. They worked great in the M&P, were as accurate as anything else and they feed flawlessly.

I got a couple more boxes at $22.95 at a local range and shop.

Dave

·
Registered
31 Posts
This is the same load as the new FBI .40 180gr duty ammo, because of this it has been extensively tested.

Were I carrying a .40 I would use this, the Ranger-T in 180gr, or the 180gr Gold Dot. All are very good ammo, with the GD and Ranger-T being both well tested and proven on the street.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts