Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did a ladder test yesterday for my .308, with to with 760, 175 gr Sierra Match Kings and CCI #250 LR Magnum primers. SD was kinda up and down but 4 loads of 10 were in single digits. Lowest was 5. I think the load I will work with has an SD of 8 but it gave the smallest group and the velocity change from the previous was only 3 ft/sec.

I have my own way of analyzing group sizes. I measure the height and width of the group (CTC) and multiply to get the area. Then compute the square root of the area and look at that number. This helps compensate for any bad techniques on my part or the effects of gusty wind which plagues my club's range. Using that method 7 of the 10 loads were sub-MOA. Two were right at 1 MOA and the first one was the worst at 1.5.

So, bottom line ... Winchester 760 looks like it will work well for me, and that tricked out Remington 700 will flat shoot.

Hector

• Haha
Reactions: msharley

·
Registered
11,871 Posts
If you get time?

Give Varget & BLC II a try....(BLC II is a classic performer in the 308 cases)

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I really like Varget, but at nearly $60 per pound ... NOPE. I still have a pound that I'll use for some .243 loads with 85 gr pills, but probably won't be buying more at the current prices.

I would like to try some BLC 2, though. Looks like a great powder to reproduce M1 Garand loads.

Hector

Reactions: msharley

·
Registered
45,399 Posts
When I was more into rifles, my Rem Model 7 in 7-08 got its best groups with 760 and a 140 Sierra SPBT

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Have you tried IMR 4895? I'm giving it a try soon.

Leland
Not IMR4895 but H4895 is one of my favorite powders. Again it's a matter of availability and price.

Hector

Reactions: Abby'sDad

·
Registered
151 Posts
Today Military sniper ammo uses IMR 4064 in 7.62 with 175MK
which very close duplicates the Federal Gold Medal Match load of 41.8 with 175 MK and 42.8 with 168 MK.
IMR 4895 was used in 308 Win Palma matches for years with 155gr and 168gr Sierra.

IMR 4895 also a proven match powder for the 308 win and 30-06 also used by the military. IMR 4895 was my first powder when I started reloading in 1973 with 30-06 and it will be my last @ 47.2 with 175 LRX in Military LC 69 brass.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
There are a lot of "new" powders in the marketplace these days that work great. BLC2 and IMR 4895 are absolute CLASSICS for the 308 and 30/06 rounds.
ENJOY..!
Actually, I scored a couple of pounds of BLC2 just the other day at the Bass Pro Shop in Independence, MO. Went in to buy some wool socks and did a double take when I saw the powder on the shelf. No shipping or Haz Mat fee so saved a little money, too. Also grabbed a pound of H4831SC, which is my favorite powder for my long barrel .243 and heavy bullets.

Looking forward to loading some 30-06 with BLC2 for my Garand. I already had a bucket of surplus brass, nearly 1000 CCI #34 large rifle military primers, and a bunch of factory second 150 grain FMJ bullets ... just needed the powder.

Hector

·
Registered
45,399 Posts
Actually, I scored a couple of pounds of BLC2 just the other day at the Bass Pro Shop in Independence, MO. Went in to buy some wool socks and did a double take when I saw the powder on the shelf. No shipping or Haz Mat fee so saved a little money, too. Also grabbed a pound of H4831SC, which is my favorite powder for my long barrel .243 and heavy bullets.

Looking forward to loading some 30-06 with BLC2 for my Garand. I already had a bucket of surplus brass, nearly 1000 CCI #34 large rifle military primers, and a bunch of factory second 150 grain FMJ bullets ... just needed the powder.

Hector
Nice! BASS here, along with Academy seem to not be bothered with reloading supplies (and early on Covid with ammo)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts