Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looked at an 1894 in "excellent" condition (their words) with minimal wear on metal and wood finish.The wood was very nice with no gouges or cracks. Blueing strong most everywhere but high edges. Very smooth action. Serial #790689. Had a Marbles factory installed rear fold up peep site with matching front site. No pictures were allowed. 24" round barrel, shiny strong bore. Low round count. Most wear was from carry. No modifications to the gun. I did not give them an offer as I was not sure what the gun was really worth..but I figured it may be in the $2k range?? They are still accepting offers today but it may be beyond my pay grade and I really don't need another long gun..BUT it was very nice and if I could get it at a bargain..? So..those in the know..what would be a respectable, but bargain price? $1K?

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
Are you sure it is a model 94? The 38 WCF, aka 38-40, was chambered in the model 92, which was specifically designed for the short revolver rounds: 25-20 WCF, 32-20, 38-40 and 44-40.
The 94 handled the longer 38-55 and all the other cartridges based on the same case: 25-35, 30-30, 32-40, 32 Special.
In any case, $2000 would be a realistic price for either rifle in excellent shape. The Marbles sight can be worth a couple hundred dollars itself, if an old original.
I have older shooter grade grade Winchesters that cost me between $800-$1200. A half round half octagon barreled 92 in 32-20. An octagon barreled 30-30 model 94, and a model 94 take down in 38-55, half round, half octagon. They all lack a lot of finish but are sound and with good bores.
Good luck and let us know how things went.

John

Reactions: Breakaway500

·
Registered
3,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was told it was an 1894, and I don't know. How could I would I tell? I did run the serial number on the Winchester site as an 1894 and it did come up as a valid number...so thats all I really know. It is a handsome gun for sure and would be a nice addition to my meager lever rifle "collection". Can you still get 38-40 ammo on the retail market? I did read that the 38-40 is actually a 40 caliber cartridge, which I found odd but anything goes with caliber names!

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
Model number will me marked on the top tang. A quick search shows that a model 92 with that serial number also has a 1915 manufacture date.

Notice the larger locking lugs on the model 92. It's a stronger action than the 94, and uses weaker ammo!

Side view shows the smaller loading gate of the 92, top gun. And overall shorter action.

38-40 is still available but not very easy to find. Reloading is the best alternative. And yes, the old 38-40 is a .40 caliber, same as the 40 S&W and 10 mm. It is a pretty potent handgun round.

John

·
Registered
3,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi John. By your description it is an 1892 as I remember the locking lugs and the short gate. Same value? I’m thinking to offer $1200 and see what happens.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
I hope you can get it.
From what I've seen actually sell at auctions and such, the 92s do as well as the 94s. Same values as posted earlier.
Keep in mind that refinishes are common with many of these old Winchesters. They got worn while out hunting and the owners sprung for a reblue. My 38-55 is one such rifle. Nicely reblued. It hurt the collector value but let me do a reasonable trade deal for about half the top end collector price.

John

·
Registered
3,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
They accepted my offer! I gave it a rub down with some Ballistol. The stock isn't really that shiny it's just the Ballistol making it look that way. The action is SO smooth and the balance of the rifle feels SO right. The bore is as nice as I have ever seen. All I need now is some ammo..:)

·
Super Moderator
33,380 Posts
Looks like a great old find, love the butt stock sight!

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
That's great! I'm happy you got it. You did good. Old Winchesters are a good investment and more fun to play with than an IRA. Enjoy it and let us know how it shoots.

John

1 - 10 of 10 Posts