Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From 1913. Picked it up this afternoon and had a chance to shoot it with Lord Slashcat. Very impressed with the gun so far. Think she's a keeper... ;)

giz

·
Super Moderator
10,855 Posts
Ah, I see Lord Slashcat got to you Giz. :mrgreen:

Were you able to talk the price down a bit?
There's nothing wrong with that gun, IMO. I probably would leave it as is, maybe just some TLC.

How does it shoot?

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Shaun,

Lord Slashcat actually is after me to pick up the 38-40 that needs some work...this is a alltogether different gun. :mrgreen:

However, I'm leaning on getting the 38-40 as it's got a perfect bore. Not something you find everyday.

This little 25-20 is an impressive little cartridge. I never knew what a little powerhouse it could be until I looked up the ballistics. Fox in the Henhouse caliber....

giz

·
Super Moderator
10,855 Posts
:mrgreen:

You have been busy. Nice find Giz. I am going to have to look up the ballistics on that round. I've heard of it, obviously, but never really looked at it.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Giz, go easy on the Winchesters!

Seriously, another good looking lever gun. I can't wait to pull the trigger on one or two of them. If you ever hit financial difficulties (and all Winchester collectors do), let me know and I'll offer you a reasonable price for your 657. ;)

·
Super Moderator
8,955 Posts
That's a beauty!! kfjdrfirii

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Thats a nice 1892!! I have the follow-on to the 1892, a model 53, in "broken configuration" (takedown) in .25-20. Also, the top rifle is a model 55 takedown in .30 WCF. Both these were made in the late 1920s.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Dang Ken, ....

This Winchester thing could get real expensive real fast... :mrgreen:

giz

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
toroflow said:
I have the follow-on to the 1892, a model 53, in "broken configuration"
"Just one more job for DEVCON....." :shock:

Seriously, long ago in my "clever" days, I once had a Winchester 55 chambered for .30 WCF. It was in fine condition and shot pretty well but long ago had been soldered at the TD joint. Even though it was a nice job, I thought that was criminal, so I stripped the 55 down, gingerly heated the receiver, cleaned the solder out and put it back together.... I was pretty proud of myself until I shot the rifle again.... wouldn't hold a 4" group at 50 yards with a Lyman 56 receiver sight and a fine ivory bead....

I was so discouraged that I sold the gun to a collector who I figured would never shoot the thing and took my lumps...

No good dead goes unpunished..... Collecting Winchesters can be a pretty humbling experiance..... Especially if you try to outsmart the old guys....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts