Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a box of Nosler 240 jhps, and I'm through loading full house 44 mags. Reasons: 1) I've got about 500 already loaded, and 2) the hands are getting stiffer and more painful as the years go by.

So, does anyone have experience with this bullet loaded in the 1000 - 1100 fps range? If it won't expand in that range, I might as well load semi-wadcutters. What dost thou think?

·
Registered
561 Posts
My .45 LC plated semiwadcutters blast thru 3 2x8's which I taped together. I didn't have a fourth board. Well why worry about expansion as the target will have a 1/2" hole from one side to the other.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
I would assume over penetration would become a concern if a 1/2" bullet travels clear through the target, and is possibly still intact...

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
That's why Dave pays me the big bucks perkgfn

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
These will be woods loafing loads, perhaps carried for backup when hunting. (No bears here -- yet!) What I carry around the ranch is normally a 240/270 grain swc (depending if it's the 44 or the 45 Colt) at just under 1000 fps. I would use the Noslers with that load if they would give me a little expansion. Otherwise, right now, I feel I have no use for them. Since the 250 round bulk box is still sealed, I might carry it to the gun show this weekend and swap it for something I do use.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts