Smith And Wesson Forums banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
My Sierra manual 5th edition lists all those powder on the 223 AR or 223 bolt action. List rem.primer 71/2 for the AR and bolt action

·
Registered
15,635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 · (Edited)
My Sierra manual 5th edition lists all those powder on the 223 AR or 223 bolt action. List rem.primer 71/2 for the AR and bolt action
Pickings were pretty slim at the gun shop. They had 1 pound of Winchester WST, about 9 or 10, One pound jugs of H110, 8-10 one pound jugs of 2400, along with 1 of the 4# jugs of H110 and a couple 4# jugs of 2400. The saving grace was they had a half dozen 1 pound canisters of BL-C2. I had planned to get a 4# or at least a couple pounds of whatever I found that was usable, but at $50.00 per pound I only got 1.
Liquid Bottle Fluid Bottle cap Drink

I have no idea what a normal price on this would be but the H110 was $31.99 compared to a pre-covid price of around $25/ pound.
I picked up a couple other items also
Rectangle Font Material property Electronic device Metal

Hopefully the primer pocket swager tool is what I will need for removing crimped primers. If not, I have the receipt.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
One pound will be good for your first 300. Although $50 makes you choke the deals on gun broker or other sources are close to that price and then you have to deal with the shipping charge. You have enough to start and home your skill

·
Registered
15,635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
One pound will be good for your first 300. Although $50 makes you choke the deals on gun broker or other sources are close to that price and then you have to deal with the shipping charge. You have enough to start and home your skill
It's still cheaper than buy factory loaded ammo.
I ordered 1,000 bullets last night. Still need to order a case gauge, a turret to mount my dies in, and the Lee auto disk rifle charging die and will do so tonight. Meanwhile I'll be starting to process my brass. Already washed and tumbled one batch and have another batch washed and drying. I'll start with sorting out the 5.56 from the .223. Still need to review the rifle brass prep and reloading chapters in my manuals.

·
Registered
10,470 Posts
Pickings were pretty slim at the gun shop. They had 1 pound of Winchester WST, about 9 or 10, One pound jugs of H110, 8-10 one pound jugs of 2400, along with 1 of the 4# jugs of H110 and a couple 4# jugs of 2400. The saving grace was they had a half dozen 1 pound canisters of BL-C2. I had plant to get a 4# or at least a couple pounds of whatever I found that was usable, but at $50.00 per pound I only got 1.
View attachment 529444
I have no idea what a normal price on this would be but the H110 was $31.99 compared to a pre-covid price of around $25/ pound.
I picked up a couple other items also
View attachment 529446
Hopefully the primer pocket swager tool is what I will need for removing crimped primers. If not, I have the receipt.
Hey Jonesy,

After tumbling brass, you will lube same.

Then in your sizing die you will "de cap", size and expand the neck.

Now, you can deal with the pesky primer crimp and trim to length.

I have found it works best for me, if I trim just slightly under minimum.....for "gas guns"....

Load a few dummy rds. Make sure they cycle...

Later, Mark

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
I always load a dummy round,lube,
Wood Gas Machine tool Nut Machine
size it set the bullet and crimp make sure over all length is ok. when l'm happy with the die settings go ahead and load. I just use a single stage press. Size say 50 cases,prime same cases with the Lee hand primer, measure powder and set bullets one case at a time, check powder drop every 5 cases of so. This my press I have moved it to a different location now, bolted to a 1-1/4" stair trend and screwed down on a desk. It's loaded 3 0-40 krag, to 6.5 grendel. The bigger cases take a little more effort to size. Similar procedure be consistent and don't get distracted

·
Registered
521 Posts

·
Registered
15,635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
I have ordered another turret to mount the dies in, along with the powder charging die and a case gauge. Those items should be here Friday. Once I get the turret I can set up the dies and start resizing cases. Meanwhile I have washed and polished around 550 cases. Bullets have been ordered and I think I have everything I need to start loading once they get here

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Just got a Natchez catalogue and they have powder @$30.99 a pound and $227.99 for 8 pounds don't know what shipping costs straight pay to check

·
Registered
15,635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Got some goodies in the mail yesterday. A case charging die, turret to mount dies in, double disk charging kit and a case gauge. I also had 1000 bullets delivered. I think that is all I need to start making ammunition.
Font Material property Bag Bumper Flooring

·
Registered
15,635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Curt went on a powder run a little bit ago. He sent me a text saying a shop about 35 miles away had a decent supply of powder on hand, including H-335, and did I want to take a ride. Well I wanted to, but I am waiting for the appliance repair guy to come work on my dryer. The price is $39.99/pound which isn't great but also isnt too bad for these days.
I still have not loaded any ammo. I have around 1200 pieces of brass washed, polished and ready to go. I had to do some rearranging and modification in my reloading room to give me a spot for rifle brass, powder and bullet storage as well as a brass processing area.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts