Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
15,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I first started reloading in 2014. I have only ever loaded straight walled pistol calibers like .380, 9mm, 38/357,.40 & .45 auto.
I have been saving all the brass that Curt and I have fired over the past few years and I actually purchased a brick of CCI#400 small rifle primers about 3 years ago so I would have them , just in case, but have never gotten around to it.
Tonight I went over to visit Curt. Much to my surprise he handed me 3 wrapped Christmas presents. Here is the contents of those boxes
Hardware programmer Circuit component Passive circuit component Material property Font

A set of Lee dies for .223, some case prep tools and 1000 CCI # 41 small rifle primers!!!
Curt said Merry Christmas, now load us some rifle ammo. With Curt getting a mini 14 this past summer, we each have one and each also have an AR type rifle so loading our own makes sense.
I’ll need to read up on loading rifle ammo. I pretty much just skimmed those chapters earlier
I am open to powder recommendations. I plan to order 500 Magtech FMJ boat tail bullets and have around 1,000 pieces of brass. I will no doubt be seeking guidance and/ or clarification from some of you experienced 223 loaders.

·
Registered
505 Posts
223 is a pretty easy cartridge to work with.
lots of options on powder. I usually use 4198, as I'm old school, its efficient, and or don't know better. :)
I now use small base dies for AR's, but it worked ok, before when I used regular dies.
I'm sure you will be stomping out ammo pretty soon.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
What grain bullet do you use? Looking on Hand loader 4198 , H322 come up on a regular basis. With the way components are and the expense I find out first what is available to buy in your area

·
Super Moderator
14,096 Posts
Excellent. Have you loaded shouldered cartridges before? Remember you have to properly lubricate the cases before sizing, and avoid too much lube on the shoulders...

·
Registered
5,265 Posts
Excellent. Have you loaded shouldered cartridges before? Remember you have to properly lubricate the cases before sizing, and avoid too much lube on the shoulders...
Plus he need a case gauge. Now I am not a fan of gauges for handguns but for rifle it is pretty much mandatory

The sizing of the case shoulder needs to be correct or there will be problems. Once you get the sizing die adjusted correctly then you are good to go. It not only measures the case length but the shoulder (223/556 headspace off the shoulder as opposed to case mouth or case head.

This one is easy to use. (buy it wherever)

·
Registered
15,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have not loaded shouldered cases before, only straight wall handgun cases so far.
Other than a case gauge, can you guys think of anything else I need?

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
+ Whatever # on the Hornady one shot lube. Works better than anything else I have used.
Best accuracy with my .223's (bolt and AR's ) had been with CFE 223, Varget and 335. Mostly using 52 and 53 grain bullets. Enjoy loading for the rifles.

·
Registered
28,383 Posts
I prefer RCBS case lube; spread some of gel on the pad and roll the cases on the pad. Were you using a progressive press for you handgun ammo? Do you have a powder dispenser and a scale (I'm sure you most likely do, but it doesn't hurt to mention it) You will probably want some form of loading block to hold the rifle brass as you process them

·
Registered
15,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
Registered
15,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I prefer RCBS case lube; spread some of gel on the pad and roll the cases on the pad. Were you using a progressive press for you handgun ammo? Do you have a powder dispenser and a scale (I'm sure you most likely do, but it doesn't hurt to mention it) You will probably want some form of loading block to hold the rifle brass as you process them
I load on a Lee classic Turret press. It uses the auto disk on press powder measure. I will need to order this charging die to charge cases on my press.
Long Charging Die - Lee Precision

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Hand loader issue 309 dated aug/Sept 2017 lists quite a few powders for 55 grain bullets most are in the range of 23.0 starting to 26 grain max loads. At that rate a pound of powder will load up about 300 rounds. As mentioned lube is like Brylcream a little dab will do it. I use Lymans spray. A stuck case extractor could be on your list just in case. I would type a list of potential powders but the crazy spell check changes everything. Gun broker has powder at about $65 a pound plus shipping. Hope you can find it local and cheaper. Good luck in your search
Dan

·
Registered
15,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hand loader issue 309 dated aug/Sept 2017 lists quite a few powders for 55 grain bullets most are in the range of 23.0 starting to 26 grain max loads. At that rate a pound of powder will load up about 300 rounds. As mentioned lube is like Brylcream a little dab will do it. I use Lymans spray. A stuck case extractor could be on your list just in case. I would type a list of potential powders but the crazy spell check changes everything. Gun broker has powder at about $65 a pound plus shipping. Hope you can find it local and cheaper. Good luck in your search
Dan
Last time I was in the LGS a couple weeks ago, they had a fair amount of powder on hand, but it was like what they had, they had a lot of and they also had a lot of empty shelf space. I wasnt looking for rifle powder at the time, but I seem to recall seeing CFE-223 and/or Varget. From the bit of research I have done it appears that H335 would work as well as BL-C(2).
I am planning a stop at the gun shop tomorrow, so hopefully they still have something I can use.

·
Registered
10,516 Posts
I have not loaded shouldered cases before, only straight wall handgun cases so far.
Other than a case gauge, can you guys think of anything else I need?
Hey Jonesy,

IMPERIAL SIZING WAX (just a VERY SMALL DAB will do you)....in addition to either the H'Day or Dillon case lube....

You may want to get a gizmo to remove primer pocket crimps....

You may also want the LYMAN Primer Pocket Uniformer & Flash Hole Cleaner tools...

H 322 & H 335 meter real well, in most powder measures.....

The 4198's are very accurate & versatile....must we weighed individually and "dribbled" up to weight with a "POWDER DRIBBLER/TRICKLER".

Later, Mark

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
3 of those are on my list but I see H -322 not H-335. Look for IMR 4895 & 4198, TAC, AAC-2230, VV-N135, AR-COMP. Hope find something available at a reasonable price, and something your supplier may be able to secure in the future!

·
Registered
5,265 Posts
Hey Jonesy,

IMPERIAL SIZING WAX (just a VERY SMALL DAB will do you)....in addition to either the H'Day or Dillon case lube....

You may want to get a gizmo to remove primer pocket crimps....

You may also want the LYMAN Primer Pocket Uniformer & Flash Hole Cleaner tools...

H 322 & H 335 meter real well, in most powder measures.....

The 4198's are very accurate & versatile....must we weighed individually and "dribbled" up to weight with a "POWDER DRIBBLER/TRICKLER".

Later, Mark

Only OLD farts :)use Imperial anymore, it's a PITA. Sure it will last two lifetimes. I still have a can used it once.
Get some water based spray lube and you don't need to wipe it off
I use Dilute LEE Lube (mixed with 99& rubbing alcohol. Shake shake shake and spritz. Done.

Here is a good old article, web site

1 - 20 of 49 Posts