Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
14,805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife is an LPN at an area nursing home and works nights. Last night around midnight she smelled something burning. They checked around but couldn't find a definite source, but it was noticeable in one specific area of the hall way. About 10 minutes later as she was doing her stuff a "Code Red" announcement came over the intercom. She knew just where she had smelled something burning earlier and grabbed a fire extinguisher and ran to that area and was pointed to a room nearby. She entered the room to see flames up to the ceiling coming from the nightstand area right next to one residents head of the bed. She put out the fire and a couple of other employees entered the room to get the 2 occupants out. They quickly turned around saying the smoke was too thick and they couldn't breathe in there. My wife then reentered the room and dragged the one guy off his bed into a wheel chair, pushed him out and went in for the other guy. She couldn't get his bed to unlock to roll out so she got him onto the floor and dragged him out. She said he is a big guy. My wife is 5'1", 110 pounds.
She ended up going to the ER and spending the night in the hospital under observation for smoke inhalation, along with the 2 residents of the room. The fire department, EMT's and doctor all said she probably saved both guys lives
No one from the facility administration called to see how she was doing or thank her for doing a good job. A secretary in the office did call however to see if she was coming to work tonight. She had not been discharged from the hospital yet when she got this call and told them she was still in the hospital but the doctor had recommended that she take the night off. They told her to make sure she had a slip form the doctor saying she shouldn't work. What a bunch of thankless A-holes. They will probably dock her a sick/vacation day for not going in tonight.

·
Registered
10,012 Posts
Prayers sent for the missus and the patients mate..

thewelshm

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
Damn that's close! Jonesy, I sure hope your wife and those residents are ok! I'm not surprised at Administration's lack of response. Someone should tell them that if your wife hadn't reacted as quickly as she did, they stood to lose a helluva lot more. They ought to be tripping over themselves in the rush to thank her. Well done!!

·
Registered
14,805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Don't they have a Facebook page that you can post this on?

Guy
She plans to talk to some of the facility board members. She told her supervisor when she first smelled it and the girl said she didn't smell it and walked away instead of investigating. Also the beds are all different models and have different unlock mechanisms which made it difficult to roll them out of the rooms in a timely manner. With facility confidentiality rules one would have to be careful what was posted on a public Facebook page

·
Registered
14,805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Last year she found a resident on the bathroom floor bleeding badly from where he had whacked his head as he fell. His lips were blue. She grabbed the defibrillator, hooked it up and the device told her to begin chest compressions, so she did, which saved his life. Now she is fighting fires. I am reluctant to let her see the movie "Wonder Woman"

·
Premium Member
12,957 Posts
I'm glad that your wife is OK, and hope no lasting problems affect her.

It sounds like your administration is more concerned about money than people. I'd hate to be living under their "care".

I know it will vary from employer to employer, but I have not encountered this kind of callous indifference since moving to the "New South" 20 years ago. People here do not live by lawyer and lawsuit alone. There is still a sense of social "right" and "wrong" too... Less political correctness.

Your wife should learn the term "Bless your heart" and explore it's true meaning...

If you ever get tired of it, and consider leaving the area check out the mid-South. I moved here from New York, and Illinois before that and it really is better here.

As to your wife's employers - I'm sure their Insurance company would be interested in her experience and the administration's behavior in the face of disaster. Was the incident covered in the press?

·
Registered
5,334 Posts
Doctors are mostly excellent. Some better. But, a good nurse can literally save your life. (Ask me how I know!). Very thankful your wife is recovering. Very much regret to read of the ignorance demonstrated by some of the folks at her place of employment. Sincerely. bruce.

·
Registered
11,438 Posts
I'm praying for a quick recovery for your wife. I'm also praying she'll find a new place to work that will appreciate her. My daughter-in-law is a supervisor now at Phoenix Children's Hospital, a bleak place considering the clientele that don't make it, but I hear enough from her to know your situation could and apparently did happen. Get your wife safe and move forward, again, prayers are with you.

·
Super Moderator
34,727 Posts
Prayers and best wishes for your wife and the patients, she did a fine job well done. It is a shame about the those where she works being real ____heads about her needing to come in. That is the kind of nonsense that would have me checking out other opportunities regardless of the time it might take.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts