Smith And Wesson Forums banner

Why the high price Nickle M19, 2.5"

3K views 19 replies 13 participants last post by  jeep 
#1 ·
Every time I see one of these they auction for big$$,WHY? I just seen one at gunrunner auctions,Burton ,Ohio. I have seen them on gunbroker go for upwards of $600. This one on gunrunner just started and its near $400 already. I,ll bet it will top $500 easy. I like them and carry one and allways looking for a spare,but there getting to pricey. I better be happy with one.

#5 ·
Because they are in great demand and will bring good money provided you know where to go with them. I personally will pay 800.00 dollars for these guns if found New in the Box in a dash 2,3,or 4. So if you can pick up one new in the box anything less than 800.00 dollars its a bargain and you have spot you can sell it anytime. I look for these to push well over the thousand dollar mark within 2 years.

John Fugate

#12 ·
Before anybody gets caught up in the moment and pays stupid prices for these guns I suggest you consider this...

"What Goes Up, Must Come Down....."

Those that don't think this applies to Smith & Wesson prices are failing to acknowledge what happened 20 years ago when hyper inflated values collapsed.

I bought my first Model 29 in 1976 for alot more than you can find these guns for today, even adjusted for inflation.

I dearly love the 2 1/2" Model 19. The 3rd S&W I bought was one of these. Still have it. I've bought two 2 1/2" 19's in the past 19 months for less than $400. Niether had boxes, but were otherwise very fine. Cush, Giz and I all passed on one that was hanging on the wall in a local shop for $495. It was very good as well.

Drew

#13 ·
I don't understand what all the hoopla is about the nickel 19s in 2.5" length or blue ones for that matter! For a concealed carry a 640 will do a better job. For distance and accuracy any 4" or longer .357Mag K or N frame will do a better job. Also nickel stinks when comes to holding up on the finish, a stainless gun is the better choice.
I think it is more of a fad and cult thing just like the 3.5" and 5" model 27-2s when 4" are much more rare, valuable and desireable. It's just a supply and demand thing that will fade with time. Anyone remember the "Dirty Harry" .44 Magnums that every one just "had to have" and after firing 6 rounds and five years later, you couldn't give them away! Put it all in perspective and be patient folks.
JMNSHO

#15 ·
I pass on a lot of nickel M19's. I run into several of them per year. Most of them are in great shape and a few NIB. I own several of them. For a working revolver I would much rather carry a 3" M13. And in the winter months I carry a model 13. As nice looking as the nickel model 19's are. I'll go with the working man's version. As with any older guns it boils down to how deep are the buyer pockets. I can rationalize paying more for a firearm I want. Hey if it's worth 500 it's worth 600 and so forth. Time is money a lot of the time. I do not have the time to play around. I just purchase the item and move on to the next deal. Recently I have picked up nickel model 19's anywhere from $125 to 350 range. Sometimes it's hard for me to pass up a deal. Every now and then even a blind robin catches a worm.
Now about the Dirty Harry model 29's. I was LUCKY back in the height of that era. I was able to pick them up NIB for $225. I kept a few for myself and sold a few dozen for a lot more than I paid for them. I agree with Drew most of the time what goes up comes down, times change and so do the prices. I collect firearms as a hobby. On some guns I make a few bucks and some I lose some. In the end it all works out. On some guns I wind up paying too much and some too little. If I average out the prices I do ok.
Jim

#17 ·
I have quite a few Smiths, shoot them in IDPA and Carry concealed too, What somebody Carry's is personal and subject to taste. No doubt the J's carry easiest but performance on target is another thing. Great for up close and fast but you have to learn to use one, not particularly easy to shoot. The Centennial frames are probably the best. It's what I have with me most and practice with it often. On the other end 625's or 686's shoot IDPA better than any other revolver Too big to carry around though.

M 19 2 1/2 inch is small easy to carry and powerful. Shooting it in matches and looking at my scores there is very little trade off for the slightly smaller frame and shorter barrel compared to a full size like the 686. Personally I am not a nickel fan. Mine is blue, would pay top dollar for the right 66 though. I passed a nice one at a show last year at 550, guy would not take 500, and am sorry I let it go.

Lots of guys don't need or like adjustable sights. I see how much better performance I get when I can adjust to suit the load. Sometimes it's just a little bit to center up the group. If centered however you are more likely to get hits. Fewer of the marginal edge shots slip by. Better sight picture too.

You pays your money and takes your choice.

Boats

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.