Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1 they carry well ,even in an N frame.
2 most were made in small numbers, so the 'scarce' factor comes into play.
3 the full length ejector rod.
4 a good compromise between a true snub and a 4" gun.

Did I miss anything?

I'd like to see yours too, and tell why you like them so much.

Some gratuitous pictures of mine ........Regards , ,AlleN-Frame

·
Registered
4,218 Posts
I like the 3" guns also.

There certainly a lot to choose from.

·
Registered
668 Posts
[lust ON]

hard to find 'em out my way....and those that got 'em don't seem to want to get rid of 'em....but I ain't giving up yet.....

·
Registered
489 Posts
Got a couple of them in .44 Special -- a 696-nothing and a 24-3 Lew Horton.

The 696 is just a kick to take to the range -- a lively shooter but not bruising. The 24 hasn't been fired yet, and I don't know if I ever will. It is one of my few virginal collector pieces. But I suspect that someday I will run a cylinderful through it just to see what it feels like.

What do I like about this barrel length? Just about everything, but in particular the way they look. In heavier guns there's a really nice design tension between the massive frame and the understated barrels. Not that I am trying to come on like the Assistant Professor of Art and Design. I heard something like that on a home and garden show the other day, and it stuck in my head.

David Wilson

·
Registered
489 Posts
Allen, just wanted to add that I learned something from your post. Until today, I had the impression all 547s were four-inchers. Now that I know there are shorter barrels, too, my desire for one has increased.

But I'll never have one unless I can find it in California and buy it from a private party. They are too young for C&R status and can't be found on the DOJ-approved list for this state. So imports are out of the question, alas. (Unless ATF classifies it as a curio, which in my judgment it ought to be.)

David

·
Registered
170 Posts
You guys convinced me. This is my first but it will not be the last ! :D

24-6

One thing that was a pleasant surprise was how accurate they are. :D :D

·
Registered
9,504 Posts

On best appearance, the prize goes to the 3 inch. On practicality - Does the 3 inch conceal significantly better than the 4 inch? . . .The postings are first rate, I didn't know some of the models shown even existed.
No argument however, with your choices; that is why they make chocolate and vanilla.

·
Super Moderator
32,484 Posts
rags24 said:
My last purchase...

That is a nice one. kfjdrfirii

Mine had replacement grips someone had put on it, but I got it fairly cheap, so no real complaints.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Mine had replacement grips someone had put on it, but I got it fairly cheap, so no real complaints.
I really like wood grips better but it came with the Uncle Mike's Santoprene Grips from the factory, and they "do" feel good. rags

·
Super Moderator
32,484 Posts
rags24 said:
I really like wood grips better but it came with the Uncle Mike's Santoprene Grips from the factory, and they "do" feel good. rags
I prefer the rubber grips to the wooden ones on a revolver that kick a little more than I like if it has the wooden grips. My model 10 and 15 are exceptions but they are .38 so pretty mild on the kick.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts