Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Thanks Don... I knew I loved my 642 for a reason!

·
Registered
753 Posts
I like the Centennials too, just I don't have any currently.

They are nice and simple and don't snag your clothes if you take it out. The grip fits my hand well also. My 940 9mm was very heavy so I'd never carry it. I like the DA of the 649 so that's what I carry most of the time.

I won't ever SA a shot in defensive shooting, but I just like that feature. fhfjjjj

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
I've been lugging or stashing a 640-1 Centennial Magnum or two since they first hit the market in the mid-90's. With R-P Fed-Spec 110 Grn JHP's they are accurate and controllable... at least for me. I set them up with factory magnas and a Tyler-T.

Tough combination to beat.

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Drew,
+1 on the factory magnas and the Tyler T-grip ! kfjdrfirii
Don

·
Registered
47 Posts
The S&W Centennial is my favorite Carry Platform..
I will almost always have at least one with me, sometimes two :mrgreen:
I recently sold my Airlite 342Ti But still have two Model 940s & a Model 642 all wear Cocobolo Craig Spegel Boot Grips..
Here's a Pic of my favorite Carry Trio..
The 642 sees more carry than the two 9mms because of it's weight..
Enjoy!!
Gary/Hk

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Had a Centennial a few years back and like a fool traded it to a deputy friend of mine for a backup gun. Now he just grins at me nfiofnp when I start trying to talk him out of it. I'm looking hard for the 640 in .357 and even trying to trade my Md. 65-3 but not having much luck. They are great designs and sooner or later I'll find another one.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I saw a Used M640-1 357 2" last weekend at the Gunshow, Price was $550, No Box etc..
I've seen that revolver at least 3-4 other times on the same guys table at various other shows..
I would have loved to had it but that's alot for a Used Snubbie but that's exactly what I paid for my 2nd 940 Used..

Also saw another 640-1 with factory Mag-Na-Port with Box etc a few years back & thought at the time that $500 was way too much..
Maybe it wasn't O'Bob..
Gary/Hk

·
Registered
626 Posts
ncOoaao

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
I think a slightly used one can be had around here (if one looks long enough) for about $400 to $450. I could be a little low on that figure but I'm gonna' try to trade for one with my 65-3 and see what happens.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Handguns seem to be cheaper & more plentifull there in TX..
Hopefully you'll be able to walk into a 640-1..
Good Luck Charlie!!

Here's another Pic of my three 9mm S&W "Revolvers", Pair of 940s & M547 4"
I've been useing Federal Nyclads as a Carry Ammo in all my Smith & Wessons..
Gary/Hk

·
Registered
47 Posts
I remember seeing this add on the rear of many gun mags back around the Early-Mid 90s & always wanted one..
Thought I'd share it with the forum..
Pretty Cool that it lists the 640 642 632 & 940..
Gary/Hk
THE CENTENNIALS

·
Super Moderator
35,255 Posts
HEADKNOCKER said:
The S&W Centennial is my favorite Carry Platform..
I will almost always have at least one with me, sometimes two :mrgreen:
I recently sold my Airlite 342Ti But still have two Model 940s & a Model 642 all wear Cocobolo Craig Spegel Boot Grips..
Here's a Pic of my favorite Carry Trio..
The 642 sees more carry than the two 9mms because of it's weight..
Enjoy!!
Gary/Hk
That is a great collection, Gary! kfjdrfirii

·
Registered
47 Posts
Not only is the Centennial IMO the best all around carry handgun ever made but there pretty Too!!
I have a complete 940-1 Cylinder Assembly coming for my 642 No Dash, Soon to Be a 942 Airweight 9mm Convertable..
I should have the cylinder & have it converted by the weekend sometime..
OH YEAH!!
Gary/Hk

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
HEADKNOCKER,
I remember that same ad.
Buddy of mine just found a n.i.b. 642 of that era for $ 400 shipped !
It came from Wisconsin, one of the two remaining 'non-CCW' States.
Seller explained that there's little demand in 'Frankenland' thepuke
I like your preference for 9MM.
Don
;)

·
Registered
47 Posts
Yeah The Love for the weight of the 15oz 642 & My Love for the 9mm 940s now has reared it's head in the final assembly of a 940-1s cylinder to my 642 No Dash, I also had aquired a Titainium center pin & stainless ejector rod in J Frame magnum lenth that I had to cut down & file to the correct lenth for my convertion & now with the use of a couple of Powers J Frame end shake bearings/washers was able to fit the new cylinder to the 642s frame without altering the yolk/crane, I also had to file the new ratchet on each charge hole until the hammer would fall which took some time..
The final result is a convertable 642/942..
Range Report still due, I've heard of others doing similar convertions by reaming out thier 38spl cylinders for a cost of like $225, But I managed to Trade an old Alessi Bodygaurd shoulder rig I aquired last year for $20 for the complete 940-1 cylinder ratchet center pin & ejector rod.. Saving me a fortune in parts..
The 9mms bullets measures .355" & 38spl measures .356"-.357", Others who have done the reamed convertion noted little to no accuracy loss at combat ranges with thier convertions, BTW My 940 with the smooth Spegels has been reamed to 38 Super/9x21/9x23 & will also still shoot 9mm para too.. Might also chamber .356TSW if I could find a box of that ammo at a decent price as well..
I realy love J Frames & 9mms, a few weeks ago traded my 2nd "940" for another Smith that is going to become my favorite L Frame Magnum revolver with Millet sights etc..
Converting the 642 to the 942 kinda took the sting of that trade away.. Now I need a nice set of K/L Frame Square Butt grips to finish the project as the JM grips didn't fit my hands & I'll either use factory combats of a set of Hogues on it..
Here's a Pic of the 940+ with the "642/942" below & a Pic of the convertion before I put the Spegels back on showing both cylinders..
I LOVE CENTENNIALS!!
Gary/Hk

1 - 17 of 17 Posts