Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was talking with Curt about S&W revolvers when he mentioned how much nice 2 inch model 15's are.
I said that I would think S&W could easily sell a nice 2 1/4 to 2 1/2 inch model 67 and 64, especially with the emphasis on self defense oriented guns over the past few years. In the S&W revolver line up you have the air weight 38 special J frames (15oz) or steel J frames chambered in 357 magnum (,22oz) then the next smallest thing they offer is the 2.75 inch model 66 (33.5oz).
Seems like there is room for a snub nosed 38 K frame. There used to be quite a few options there with the various 2 to 3 inch models 10, 15, and 64. These would run around 30oz but something like a model 12 Aluminum K frame) with 2.5 inch barrel would run about 20 ounces. Anyone think they could sell enough K frame snubbie 38's to be worthwhile once again? Probably never happen though.
Speaking of S&W, they have really cut back on their revolver offerings this year. There are no 45acp revolvers offered. The models 64 & 67 are gone as well. The model 19 they just released a few years ago is only available in the 3 inch ,ported, Performance Center version and the 4" version is gone. Seems like a few others maybe too

·
Registered
23,424 Posts
I love snubbies but don't see enough market to make more K frames profitable. Most snubbies sold are J frames for light carry & w/ the K frame Model 66 available they're just not going to sell enough in todays world of plastic fantastics.

·
Registered
14,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I love snubbies but don't see enough market to make more K frames profitable. Most snubbies sold are J frames for light carry & w/ the K frame Model 66 available they're just not going to sell enough in todays world of plastic fantastics.
I guess my point about the J frames is that for new production it is the only option for a smaller 38 special with the next one up being twice the weight. Of course I think if S&W thought they could make a bundle they would do it, and they arent

·
Registered
14,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just watched a video on the top 10 selling handguns for 2020. The Colt King Cobra, with fixed sights and a 3 inch barrel was number 8, weighing in at 28 ounces. that's what I'm talking about..sort of, but slightly smaller in 38spcl Plus P. Cut the barrel back to 2.25", and ditch the shroud on the Colt and you would be down to about a 26.5 ounce gun. Of course now if you want a heavy, maybe due to recoil sensitivity, but short 38 Special in the S&W line up, you are left with a steel J frame or the 2.75" m66. I still kinda think there is room in between there for a successful revolver, if it was done right. None of those painted black triggers and hammers like on the 66.

·
Registered
19,651 Posts
I agree with Injunbro. The King Cobra is hi due to a Cult like following with people paying 2,000+ for a new gun that the originals would be 5-10,000. Their new Cobra had a run but never hear anymore about them. I visit my favorite gun stores and talk with my friends and 98% of their sales are plastic bottom feeders on the lower end of price range in 9mm or 380. Ruger has a small revolver LCR in 22 that I never see in stock but is asked for a lot. Think market is too erratic to sustain the production costs to make a gun like that. JMO but that is what I have noticed here.

Reactions: Minorcan

·
Registered
18 Posts
The demand right now is for polymer pistols. People really want them. The desire for the small ones has me puzzled, but then I am a person who understands the strengths and weaknesses of the smaller guns better than a lot of new gun buyers.

Most of these new buyers should be getting revolvers. They are more likely to function when needed. I say that because I have seen how little thought to maintenance has been given to firearms by novice gun owners. They should want something similar to what is being requested. The problem is they know so little, they go off of the ludicrous Hollywood crap they have seen. Thus the demand is backwards from what it should be.

I can't see any company dealing with the more limited resources they have right now that would want to make such a revolver if they don't already make one. It's a smaller niche market right now.

Edit: Fixed a typo

·
Registered
849 Posts
The demand right now is for polymer pistols.
And that's where the Mothership makes its highest profit... pumping out cheap-to-make plastics like no tomorrow.

Second to that (profit-wise) has got to be the cheaper lightweight J's.

·
Registered
515 Posts
As the owner of a 2" Model 15, a vintage factory hammer shrouded Colt Agent, an M&P 340 and a Ruger LCRx 3" .357, I can first tell you that I (used to) could keep a cylinder full of 158's on a paper plate stuck up at 50 yds with that Model 15, but second, that would be my nearly last choice for carry. Yep, it's a great gun (I kinda love ALL Model 15's, I've never seen a dog in the bunch), heck, I even earned my first Navy Expert Ribbon with a Model 15 4" (yes, knowing what I know now, I am nearly ashamed of admitting that, since it was like basically cheating, but that's what they were using down at Charleston Navy Base back then...)
That '15 is in the safe, but if I were to throw it in the rotation, it would be as a "stash gun" tucked away somewhere's in the house, stuffed full of Winchester +P 158 LSWHPs.
As a part-time gun counter employee, I can echo the sentiments of others that have said revolvers are a distant second (third maybe, after 18-20" Riot Shotguns) as the asked about and purchased weapon of choice in the last year, even though I have actively tried to steer certain folk towards the "round guns" because of what I perceive as their level of understanding about firearms. Usually fruitless, instead, our top sellers have been Glocks, LCPs, SCCYs, Hi-Points (if a certain demographic popped into your head as you read the word "Hi-Point", you would be 100% spot on, without exception.) and G2-G3 Tauruses. We would sell more P365s and Hellcats if we could have gotten them, and we are getting Shield +'s pretty regularly. The Shield +'s have met a rather cool reception at my store, I have two in the case right now.

·
Premium Member
12,444 Posts
My best guess is that revolvers are just to expensive to produce, especially considering that they still require a fair amount of skilled hand work to finish and fit.

Ruger applied manufacturing techniques long ago (investment casting) that reduced the cost of their revolvers, while improving their quality a the same time. S&W adopted some of those techniques, but likely follow the same production manufacturing engineering approach they have for decades.

Polymer firearms are quick to produce, manufactured on highly automated lines, require less hand work and more profitable. They sell in greater numbers, meaning that there are efficiencies of scale that revolvers could likely never approach.

Finally, the number of skilled gunsmiths that have experience working on revolvers is likely contracting. Years ago, I met one of the very experienced Performance Center gunsmiths at a S&W event in my city, and he was a couple of years from retirement.

Ultimately, when it comes to product introductions, follow the money.

Reactions: jeepnut

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
There may not be enough demand for S&W to make one but I sure would like to have one!

I guess this old modified Victory will have to do.

·
Super Moderator
34,225 Posts
We would love to see a 2" model 15 but other than those of us that love revolvers can't see the demand so much sad to say.

Reactions: jonesy814
1 - 11 of 11 Posts