Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Having recently been smitten by 3rd gen S&W semi-auto pistols, I have added the 4006TSW to my carry rotation. Even though it's a bit bulky and heavy, it's comfortable on a good belt and conceals well in bulky winter clothing. I have no hesitation whatsoever about it functioning if need be.

Does anyone else still carry a 3rd gen Smith? What type of holster do you prefer?

Registered
I carried a 4006 TSW for years in a Galco OWB holster. I didn't stop carrying it because of reliability. I carry a revolver now so if something happened my wife could pick it up and shoot it with no worries.

Premium Member
I'm late to the party on 3rd gens, but IMHO they're still outstanding pistols. Just picked up a 3913NL and CS9 stainless. If you like single-stack alloy-framed DA/SA hammer-fired compacts, these were and still are among the best ever.
However, the sights may be lacking by today's standards. I just sent the slides to Novak's to (hopefully) upgrade the sights. The original low-mount Novaks were considered good in the day; but the white three dots don't compare to modern tritium/fiber-optics, especially for old eyes like mine.

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
9mm or (and) 10mm ? Added a 1066 to my rotation, recently, to spell my 6906.

Good luck getting mags for these b!+c435. It's an all-in knock-down drag-out slugfest, on Ebay.
My only complaint is the difficulty in locating magazines, I only have two each for my 4006TSW and 4506-1. Luckily they seem rather robust.

Registered
I had a couple and loved shooting them .. They were both DAO. I would hesitate to carry any with a safety for the same reason I would hesitate to carry many Berettas .. the upside down safety.

Decock or DAO .. you bet

Registered
I just picked up a 6906 that will be replacing my Shield for Spring/summer carry. I carry appendix and one of the only kydex benders that I found with a 3rd Gen Compact was Black Dog Concealment and it should be here today.

Registered
I view the 2nd and 3rd generation pistols as beautiful weapons, and they bring back many memories. I love them despite their weight and view modern plastic handguns as venerable as...well, hammers. The older models are beautiful, and I bought two 659s, one 5906, and I was given a 6906! I have shot the Glock 9mm and I found it comfortable and accurate. But had I walked into a gun store years ago, I most likely would have bought one and that would have been it. I certainly would not have purchased others. Instead of the magical experience it was for me, it would have been more like visiting a Home Depot. Plastic guns just don't appeal to me, no matter how well they shoot. I most likely would have bought revolvers, and though I like modern revolvers, S&W made beautiful guns in the past, with wood grips, stamped sideplates, chrome plated hammers and triggers, and despite Ruger building tanks as revolvers, S&W built its 686s to go toe to toe with the Colt Python, and I think they succeeded. All Ruger did was add steel where no steel was needed.

When the S&W 59s first were produced, I wanted a nickel-plated model. But the first models were horrible! They were called "jammomatics" and my gun dealer told me: "S&W makes great revolvers, but stay away from their autos." They're just not there yet, he added. So I bought a Beretta 92, and it was everything the S&W wasn't. Then I sold it when the U.S. military adopted it, and made more than a $150 off of it. Shortly thereafter I bought a Taurus -- a cheap Beretta. It was just as reliable as a Beretta, but not as accurate. Then I saw an initial military report. The Beretta 92 had a stellar 1 malfunction out of 2,000 rounds. But the new S&W 459 scored a great 1 out of 959 rounds. I tried to get a 459, but they just weren't available. But I was able to get a 659, and it shot everything I could put into the magazine!

I still like the 659 better than the 5906, but most people like the 5906. Still, I began to see both in movies and they're great!

I'm thinking of getting my 5906 refinished in bright nickel. Just for looks. What do you think?

--

Super Moderator
Just started again with the 3913NL I snagged from Layne here on the forum.

ETA: I have been known to carry my 39-2 years ago but that mostly stays warm and snug in the safe and gets to go to the range frequently.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Registered
I carry a several different 3rd gens I have 2 or 3 rigs depending on how I am dressed I carry mostly OWB pics of 2 holsters are attached and yes the are different one is compact for the 669 the other is for the 4013 TSW which is just a bit larger around the triggerI carry IWB a 4553 TSW as well all carry very well with a good belt

Attachments

Registered
Just started again with the 3913NL I snagged from Layne here on the forum.

ETA: I have been known to carry my 39-2 years ago but that mostly stays warm and snug in the safe and gets to go to the range frequently.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Glad to see your enjoying it . Shoots great does it not ?? Layne

1 - 20 of 20 Posts