Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
8,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've always used a SxS, but #2 son is looking for a 12 ga pump gun for hunting/ clays/home defense . Need something that takes choke tubes so he can use it for brids, clays and slugs for deer.

Recommendations?

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
Tough to beat the Mossberg 500 or Remington 870 pumps. I like the older Winchester model 12s and the Ithica 37s but some didn't come with replaceable chokes. I have a few with Polychokes which some hate..but I love.

If you really want the "ultimate" pump..try a DP12...

·
Registered
28,348 Posts
Ithaca, Win Model 12, Mossberg 500, Remington 870, Maverick 88(Mossberg brand)

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
Every home needs at least ONE 12 gauge pump gun. Pretty much take care of anything. I had a lazy friend that shot a hole through his 10” thigh foundation with slugs so he could get a waterline through. Give the laziest man the hardest job he will find the easiest way to do it. Handy tool the pump shotgun! My favorite firearm.

·
Registered
21,916 Posts
I got a Stevens 520 and has been a couple of trips and has functioned flawlessly and is a takedown.
The others listed too are excellent also.

·
Registered
11,900 Posts
You have choices and many have been mentioned, but this one would be hard to find now, a Revelation (sold through Western Auto) 12 gauge from the late 50' to early 60's, my grandfather's hunting gun. It has a fixed full choke, but it's been used by me personally on dove, quail, rabbits and one duck, oh yeah, many clay pigeons too. It also saw time riding in a police car with my dad and there's no telling what my grandfather in rural western Arkansas harvested with it back before 1966. About 10 years ago I took up a renewed interest in clay shooting for a short time and bought a used Winchester 1400 semi-auto, so I turned over the old pump shotgun at that time to his great-grandson to keep and pass on to future family!

·
Registered
6,851 Posts
I have owned Browning, Remington, Mossberg and Winchester along the way. The Browning, like the Ithaca 37 loads and ejects through the bottom. I had a tendency to short stroke the Browning, ejecting but not reloading it. I would recommend passing on any old style nozzle choke devices having seen several mounted a freckle off center, not good. Unless of course if you can try it out ahead of purchase....

Slugs, a different matter. Slugs imho just about demand rifle sights.

·
Registered
10,514 Posts
Hey D,

For a right hander, the Rem 870.

For a left hander, the Mossberg.

(not knocking Ithaca... just more readily available accessories for the 870 & 500/550.)

The 870 safety is on the trigger guard. In such a fashion that the Left Handed have a neat trick of dealing with it.

The Mossberg safety is on the tang. Easily worked leftie or rightie!

Now, both make (and there are aftermarket parts galore) "Slug Barrels". Smooth & Rifled. One can use the same shotgun on the same day to hunt birds/rabbits/turkey and venison. Simply swap the barrel for slugs. 30 seconds max.

Both have choke tubes...

There are a variety of stocks, mag tubes...etc for both...and AFFORDABLE!

You can get a used Mossy for about $250 to $300. A little more for the 870..

Hope this helps...

Later, Mark

Reactions: DocWyatt

·
Registered
28,348 Posts
Hey D,

For a right hander, the Rem 870.

For a left hander, the Mossberg.

(not knocking Ithaca... just more readily available accessories for the 870 & 500/550.)

The 870 safety is on the trigger guard. In such a fashion that the Left Handed have a neat trick of dealing with it.

The Mossberg safety is on the tang. Easily worked leftie or rightie!

Now, both make (and there are aftermarket parts galore) "Slug Barrels". Smooth & Rifled. One can use the same shotgun on the same day to hunt birds/rabbits/turkey and venison. Simply swap the barrel for slugs. 30 seconds max.

Both have choke tubes...

There are a variety of stocks, mag tubes...etc for both...and AFFORDABLE!

You can get a used Mossy for about $250 to $300. A little more for the 870..

Hope this helps...

Later, Mark
Remington made LH 870s, no need to go with a Mossberg

Reactions: msharley

·
Registered
2,203 Posts

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
My favorite is the Winchester M12. I have a 12 gauge that some idiot put an adjustable choke on. :mad: Ruined the value but makes a nice huntin' shotgun.
But my absolute favorite is one a got 41 years ago tonight. The family was over for Christmas Eve and I was handing out the presents. I wasn't getting much, and I thought to myself "Well, it's not about presents anyway". Then Dad handed me an envelope. I opened it and there was a note inside that said "go look in the corner and see if there's anything you like". In that corner was a perfect M42 Winchester.:cool: For those who don't know that is a scaled down M12 in .410 Bore.
I still have it and it is my most valuable shotgun.:cool:
Jim

·
Registered
717 Posts
Take at look at the Benelli Nova. It was my go to gun for dove hunting a couple of years ago. Very smooth action. I've run every thing from 2-1/2 to 3-1/2 inch shells through it and it cycled them all without a problem. It comes with I/C, Modified, and Full choke tubes, plus there are all kinds of aftermarket tubes available.

Hector

·
Registered
432 Posts
Winchester Model 12 or Ithica Model 37. The cream of the crop in pump guns. The Win Model 12 I currently own is a 20 gauge skeet gun but it works well in the field as well!

·
Registered
10,514 Posts
I've always used a SxS, but #2 son is looking for a 12 ga pump gun for hunting/ clays/home defense . Need something that takes choke tubes so he can use it for brids, clays and slugs for deer.

Recommendations?
Hey D Man,

Well? What's he going to get?

Pics? :ROFLMAO:

Later, Mark

1 - 20 of 25 Posts