Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a topic from the old forum .
I`ll start it off with a 29-2 that I scored of Gun Broker this past summer . I was the only bidder .
I got the original presentation case , a set of mint factory combat grips and a Bianchi hip holster that goes down to my ankle !! :D

Lets seeum boys !!

·
Administrator
8,128 Posts
Ralph,
You sure know how to get my attention! I love shooting the long-barrels! There's just something about having all that barrel out in front of me..

Here's a couple.. a 629-1 and a 57-1, both serious shooters.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Another 629-1. This one has the integrated cuts on the barrel that hold those obsolete rings.

This one has seen heavy use too! Killed the timing once and had to turn the barrel also.
Looks good after I found new stocks and wiped it with Mothers Mag polish!

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
Don't know if this one will fit with the new size regs :lol: , but here goes...
From 1960, a M-29 'no-dash'.
Don

·
Registered
347 Posts
I still like the ol' unwieldy things.

Model 17-4

Model 14-4

Model 29-2

The Model 17 sure looks better in this photo than in real life. I've fired more rounds through it than any other firearm I've ever owned and it's been holstered and toted lots of miles, hiking and small game hunting around our place or deer leases.

The Model 14, purchased in 1980 at the same time as the Model 17, has only seen careful use on a range for the most part. Not a normal big game hunting choice but this Model 14 once took a white tail buck with a hot .38 Special hand load. A heart/lung shot that was effective.

The Model 29, purchased a couple of months after the above pair, was used through four seasons of hunter pistol competition and saw a lot of use with hand load development and chronograph work. It refutes the notion that Model 29s are wimpy with full power loads. Has two deer to its credit.

I also had a forth revolver in my set for some years, an 8 3/8-inch Model 27. This revolver shot most loads slower over the chronograph than did a 6-inch Model 27 I have. It wasn't as accurate either so it was traded away.

·
Administrator
8,128 Posts
There's some really nice long-barrels in this thread!

·
Registered
10,942 Posts
Have not had this one long enough to play too much. It's a 25-5 45 Colt. Switched to an old pair of glasses that I can't see **** with until about a foot and a half out and that helped. Loaded up some Green Dot and some 250 gr. cast bullets {.452} with a heavy crimp and the 7.5 gr. load looks good so far. Only did 5 of them, along with some loads with less powder. The load and the gun {I just pulled the trigger from a rest} did about a 5" group at 25 yds. Not a great one but it's a start.

·
Administrator
8,128 Posts
Azmick, very nice! I would love to have a long-barrel 25-5.. That's my favorite caliber.

·
Registered
570 Posts
oh crap.... i forgot i have this one too....
it's got the 8-3/8 barrel on it but really doesn't seem that long because the whole things so "honking" huge.... :shock:

.500 S&W.....aka ....the "giggle maker"

·
Registered
347 Posts
I'm just scared that even my long barrels may not be long enough in the future. Been in these reading glasses for a few years now and it seems that the barrels need to be longer and longer. It'll be pitiful to need a 32-inch Model 29.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts