Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The range rimfires, working guns. I would like to start a thread about our 22 rimfire target handguns, and first I show you mine, but I want you to post yours too. 1 or 10, lets see them, c'mon! All of these I bought to shoot shoot shoot, and what they look like was never much of an an issue. Classic target 22 rimfires, each a tack driver if the shooter does his/her part.
One problem with this many, is you have to stock several different kinds of 22 ammo, as each one of these likes different bullets better than others. Some perform their best with match ammo, others with cheap stuff. As you know, there is no educated guessing with rimfire ammo and how it works in a particular firearm.
Here we go, in chronological order:

Pre-war Outdoorsman 1st model, 1933-34. It wears KB Roper stocks done with French walnut. This is my showiest gun among the collection, but I shoot this gun, a lot.

Colt Officer's Model, 1937-38. The action is butter smooth, absolute tight lock up, the classic Colt action. This guns looks like a war relic, but it shoots like a dream, and if any of you tried a cylinder or 2 in it I think you would immediately fall in love...

High Standard HD Military, early post war, probably late 46 or early 47. If you've never experienced one of these and you like 22 target shooting, one of these should be in your scope. They were made in shorter barrel versions too, and at 1 time some of them came from the factory with Roper grips (my brother has 1 of these with a shorter barrel). Other High Standard pistols are also well known as tack driving, high quality target guns.

Early 4 digit K22, 1947. Drew likes the serial number of this one :), K5678. The ejector rod bothers me a little, I wonder if it is original to the gun, maybe I'll replace it one of these days.

K22 "pre 18", 1953. I think if I had to chose just 1 .22LR revolver, this is the one I'd pick. I just seem to be able to shoot this one better more often than any of these others...

Early Model 43, 1958. Very scarce nickel finish. I tripped over this gun, while picking up a 38 that was on layaway. I bought it on the spot (stole it is far more the truth), not realizing how rare nickel 43s are. Small, light, compact, my liking for this as a trail gun has done nothing but grown. (But I might move it soon, as it should be with a collector, and if I do I'll replace it with a blued 43 instead.) Aside from that, I have taken this one to the range a few times and had a ton of fun with it.

Ruger Mark 1, 1974. What needs to be said about this classic that you don't already know? I have been thinking of sending one of these out for a really nice target/action job, trouble is you have to decide which version...

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
Nothing better than an afternoon with a bunch of .22's.

Don't have anything as pretty as yours!!

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
Plinking is a great hobby.

just some of my plinkers kfjdrfirii

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
Here is a pic of some of my 22 plinkers I took a while back out plinking.The k frame with the targets is a model 17 the other one is a model 48.Couple of model 41 and a ruger single six.
I get a bigger kick out of shooting a 22 now than when I was a kid. I kind of rediscovered them a while back and they are ever so much cheaper to shoot than any thing else.

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
I actually get more fun out of taking the kids out and letting them burn up .22. I shoot a little, and just sit back and watch. Give them a box of 550, and watch the fun.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Geoff, your Outdoorsman with the Roper grips is gorgeous! I don't have a double action .22 and I think I need to fill that hole! But I do have the following....

The Stevens Favorite that my dad bought for me when I was born (my name is Steven and he figured it would be my favorite!):

Colt 1967 Bat Masterson Frontier Scout commemorative (unfired until I gave it to my daugther and she shot it!):

I always wanted a .22 pump. A modern Rossi or Taurus wouldn't do it for me. I've always been more of a Marlin guy than a Winchester guy and when I saw this Model 37 (the only Marlin pump at the entire huge gun show), I just had to buy it for the asking price of just $325:

Jeff Flannery engraved with elephant ivory stocks Ruger Single Six Convertible:

Ruger Single Six Convertible with birdseye maple stocks from www.clccustomgrips.com :

Walther PP Sport (1967):

·
Super Moderator
8,955 Posts
Very nice plinkers, I don't have them all pictured together, but I love shooting them and like Leighton, love watching my boys shoot.

·
Registered
753 Posts

Here is my 22 handgun lineup. I shoot 22s in the indoor range down at the club when it's too cold outside. I use to shoot a lot of 22s, then I drifted away to the bigger calibers. Sometimes 22s give you a break from all the muzzle bast and recoil.

The S&W revolver was my first 22 and it seen thousands and thousands of rounds fired down range. It still is accurate.

I now shoot only CCI Blazers thru my 22s. The other bullets would lead up badly but these really work well for me.

There is nothing wrong with 22s!

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Walther made PP and PPK models in .22 long rifle going back as far as the 1930's. They made them for same reason most gunmakers make a .22 version of whatever revolver or pistol they already made. Cheap shooting and training and fun.

The Sport model had a 6" threaded barrel with a front target sight that screwed onto the last inch of barrel and was secured with a lock ring washer. A fully adjustable rear target sight slid into the dovetail and the hammer was made with a big extension for thumb cocking the hammer. Longer plastic target grips with a thumbrest were also included and the extension on the magazine made it the same length as the grips.

Single action only models were made but are rather rare. Actually the double action versions are rather rare too. PP Models in .22 branded Walther are easier to locate and the same gun branded Manhurin is much easier to find. Most have standard length barrels and fixed sights. Some have big sights, some have the target hammer and that's all. Some have the target grips and that's all.

This one had everything and was in great shape except for some minor edge wear. It's a great shooter, very accurate. It needs high velocity ammo to work the action instead of standard velocity target ammo.

I like it alot because I love how ergonomically the Walther design fits my hand. This one was made in 1967 and is stamped with 67 right on the barrel, as was Walther's manner.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Geoff,

Great thread. I'm not sure how I missed it! I don't have too much to add but here are some that I've had fun with lately.

Here is a Winchester 1906 and my model 34 Kit Gun. I call these my problem guns. The 1906 was given to me by a patient of mine and the chamber is corroded. I'm not really sure what to do with this old girl. Perhaps I'll find another barrel some day. Perhaps it will go down the road. The 34 is near 100% in condition, but has more mis-fires than is acceptable even with different brands of ammo. Double action is worse than single. She may go back to S&W.

Next is a Springfield model 15 single shot that belonged to my Dad. (He put the stickers on.) This was the gun I first toted into the Maine woods, and this summer my seven year old will learn to shoot it if he can pull the striker back. I foundly remember a deer hunting trip with my Dad when a snow shoe hare ran out and stopped right in front of us. I tried to pull the striker back, but my hands were too cold. My Dad asked if I wanted him to shoot it. When I said yes, we were swapping guns when the bunny happily hopped away. No meat in the pot on that trip, but it is a very happy memory.

If you look closely, you can see a photo of my Dad under the butt stock of both rifles. I didn't plan it that way, and just noticed myself. I guess he is still with me. kfjdrfirii

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
Everybody loves plinking.... didn't most of us start out that way?

Here's my son DJ with his 'almost stepson', Andy.

Andy is proudly showing the empty case of his first round fired, ever. The rifle is the same "Chipmunk" that DJ learned on 25 years ago....

Lately I've been playing with this little monster and I turned in a fair performance against K-22's, Ruger Standards and a Colt OMM at the redneck shoot this past fall....

One of the last 34's. MIM even.

·
Super Moderator
10,857 Posts
My lousy pictures of my only two 22 plinkers:

This Single Six dates to 1962. It is a shooter in every sense of the word. It is no safe queen for sure and it will flat out shoot anything I want to stuff it with. Including the 22 Mag cylinder as well.

Here's a plain old standard Ruger MKII. Also very accurate and fun to shoot.

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
Geoff,
A dandy idea for a thread, particularly with ammunition prices so high.
Here, in no particular order, are some of my favorite plinkers. ;)
Don
MK II 512K Ruger

1958 Hi-Standard Sentinel

1956 Hi-Standard Sport King

1958 M-17

1957 M-46

The good ol' flatgate

1 - 18 of 18 Posts