Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While I was at the range yesterday shooting the Python, I took along my Model 19-9. Now I know a lot of people don't care for the new guns...MIM...Locks, two-piece barrels and all that, but let me tell you that is one fine shooting gun. I think it looks great and has a great trigger right out of the box in both D/A and S/A. I only had 50 rounds of my reloads left but I sure do enjoy this one. I wish I'd thought to take a picture of that target. It does a good job there too, which is sort of unusual for any gun in my hands. Best of all I don't have to "baby" it. The forcing cone is improved, parts are available if needed, and Smith and Wesson will work on it. If there is anything "wrong" with it, the grips are a little narrow for ME, when shooting full on magnum loads, but since I don't do that often the grips are fine as is.

Model19.jpg

Model19a.jpg

I think it's a worthy successor.

·
Registered
22,084 Posts
I have a couple of the newer guns...my 625-8, 67-5, 64-8 to name a few and they all function fine. Your 19-9 is a fine revolver and I'm glad that it functioned well and that you enjoy it! Thanks for the range report.:cool:

·
Registered
6,968 Posts
Hey CB,

Swell looking M 19 (New Model)!!

Now...when you have the M 19 (New Model) and the Python (New Model) in hand, side by side if you will.......which do you prefer? Why?

Balance? Trigger? Sights? "Feel"?

Inquiring minds...and all... :D

Later, Mark

·
Premium Member
2,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Kinda hard to say Mark. It's not quite apples to oranges, but the 6" barrel on the Python, vs the 4" barrel on the M-19 makes them feel totally different. The Python is more nose heavy...Not surprising. I'm a big 4" barrel fan as you all know, so the Model 19 to me is better balanced.

The Model 19's trigger is good, but the Python's trigger is better, especially in double action. No big surprise there I don't suppose.

The sights on the Model 19 are more user friendly. The rear sight on the Colt has a set screw you have to loosen to make an adjustment, and then tighten down again when you're finished. Edge to the Model 19 for rear sight, but the front sight on the Python is interchangeable (I doubt I ever will, but I suppose it's nice to be able to). Slight, theoretical advantage to the Python there.

If I had to pick just one of them...It would probably be the Python. But I have less experience with it. A Model 19 is sort of "old hat" to me. I've owned several over the years, so I'm comfortable with them. I owned an "old" Python for a short time years ago, but never really got attached to it. This one I've got 600 rounds through. That's a lot of shooting for me, especially for so short a time period. I think the "newness" of it has revived my interest in shooting. I had gotten bored with it to tell you the truth. But the Python is like a breath of fresh air. I've gone to the range at least once a week since I got it. I don't even care how well I shoot. I just want to turn ammo into noise. :) Now, I'm just waiting now for a 4" one.

·
Registered
6,968 Posts
Python on the RANGE!

Hey CB,

Thank you for the "insightful" reply!

Certain firearms are just plain............easy/fun to hit with...

Here is one of mine... the 8" Smolt...:eek:

Later, Mark

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've always been interested in the Smolt. No idea why really, other than the fact that all the "cool kids" had them back in day. I've never seen one in the real world, but if one ever turns up around here, one with a 4" Colt barrel of course, I will be tempted.

·
Premium Member
794 Posts
CB- Glad you got some range time! Always a plus for me. I sure was encouraged with your positive report on the “new” Smiths. Haven’t been tempted because of the somewhat negative reports. Been staying with the older models, albeit they are all shooters. Just don’t have the cash for collector models. Old,new or in between, I envy you your Python! Hank

1 - 12 of 12 Posts