Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which do you prefer on this 1940 HD? Originally it had Magnas but with the price of the pre-wat stocks that ain’t gonna happen for this weary and poorly refinished veteran. I had some stocks of polished buffalo horn on it and the black finish looks good with the nickel. But I generally prefer checkering and I usually go with factory wood on my S&Ws. I just picked up these 1953 or so Magnas from member john horn. So here are photos of the gun with both stocks. Which do you like best?

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
The problem Sax, with putting post war stocks on a prewar gun is the length of the grip frame.... there's usually a bit of the frame sticking out from under the grips.... I find this annoying....

Perhaps you might be better served with a set of Pre-war Repop Service Type stocks from North Carolina Ordinance, or even cheaper are their 1917 stocks which you could inlet a medallion into yourself.....

http://www.gungrip.com/items_031__page0.html

·
Super Moderator
11,419 Posts
Given those two choices, I would prefer the smooth grips shown in the first pic.

I just think they look a little better to my eyes.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Both sets match the frame perfectly. I have had that trouble with earlier guns, from the 1920s, but my HD and 1926 from 1940 and 1938 respectively wear post war stocks that fit just fine.

·
Super Moderator
8,997 Posts
If you are not getting original magnas, I would go with the smooth stocks.

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
Hey, SP
Two things:
1) The buffalo horn set wins hands-down, IMHO.
2) Those postwar magnas are transitionals, and worth some $$$...hence
the nice fit on the prewar gun.
Good going!
Don
hpzl;n;

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
I like the diamond grips.The others are definatley nice to though.Its like a nice 57 chevy with the original wheels and hub caps or mag wheels they both look good. My taste leans toward original

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
I vote for the black horn grips.Looks good with the nickel.I have repo service grips on mine,while I like the look, magna style feel better to me.

·
Registered
11,064 Posts
Go with the horn
There is a gun out there {wearing goodyears} with your name on it
You will be ready

·
Registered
9,504 Posts
Alhough I love the walnut diamonds, the Horns look best on the gun. Have you shot it with both grips? If so
what is the verdict?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I like the buffalo horn also... and say, ain't that a good ole humpback hammer (sans tip)?

Looks like a fun gun.

Roger

·
Registered
829 Posts
The black Buffalo horn looks better IMO. Nice looking workhorse.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts