Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m trying to decide between buying one of these two guns and wondering if anybody has either one that they would make a case for either one? I like the 586 because it has an extra round but the downside is moon clips which I have not had experience with. 586 is bigger too and I have larger hands so that might be a better fit.

They are about $90 apart with the 586 being about $1069 from my local gun store so price isn’t really a huge factor

What about long-term value keeping? Traditionally would one be more valuable than the other? Again I’m thinking the 586...

Thoughts from the big brains here on either one? Thanks in advance

K

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Well, the big brains will be along in a few so I will give you my opinion. I like the 586 especially if you are going to use it as your EDC. I carry a 7 shot 386NG and love it. The moon clips aren't a problem. As far as long term value one would be as good as the other.

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
Point #1 while the 586 is heavier which helps with recoil the grip is the same size as the 19 K. There are about as many different size and shape after market grips as you could need to get the proper feel with either revolver. I prefer the 586 for shooting with 357 Magnums. The extra weight makes a the 586 easier to control.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
I don't know what the COMP version of the 586 is. My experience with the 586 is with one from the first few years of production. It is easily the most accurate handgun I've ever fired and its weight (it's pretty heavy in 6" form) makes even the heaviest loads easily manageable. I should add this gun has a Hogue Monogrip which fits my hand perfectly. That probably makes some difference.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
The 586 L cut already for speedy moonclips, ported and nightsights is hard to beat. I owned one for a good bit and the 3 inch was a pleasure and hoot to shoot. I am usually not a ported fan but noticed no ill effects with the 586. Sweet gun that has some tasty extras built in.

·
Registered
21,316 Posts
They both have the IL and MIM parts, and I don't think 2 ozs. is going to make easier to shoot, but 'Porting' will, but I have never shot a ported revolver. Bob

·
Registered
214 Posts
Do you have to use the moon clips with the 586 or will it chamber with out them? I was looking at these and they’re pretty cool just for the 3” barrels. An old 3” 19 is probably outta my price range. I honestly wish they weren’t ported though.

·
Registered
21,316 Posts
At over a thousand for either of those, I would think an old M-19 3" would probably be about the same price, but.....I could be wrong. It don't matter anyway.....just be happy with what you get!!!! ;) I'm just another 'old guy'.....who likes old stuff!!!! Bob

·
Registered
21,316 Posts
Well, at over a thousand dollars for either, they are all out of my price range! But, I think that you don't have to use the moon clips.......but they are pretty handy for quick reloads! Probably better than a speed loader. I've tried a speed loader, but I'm not any good at using them, either. I have read that moon clips are the way to go!!! ;) Bob

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.