Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So buddy was over the other day and he brought over some stuff for show and tell from what seems like an inexhaustible supply of guns. He may have been trying to tempt me again as he brought over two N frames and he is the guy I got my 28 from.

I didn't get numbers but judging by the stories he has them since the early 80's

One was a 629 Mountain gun which I ooooed and aaaaed over even though I have zero use for a 44 mag. Still .. that skinny barrel half lug thing is workin for me. It was a 4 inch and I would say it was in good condition. Had some ratty pachmyer grips but the gun wasnt beat up but its hard to tell sometimes with stainless. Lock up was amazing and the trigger pull was perfect.

I told him that I saw them starting out at between 900-$1000 as starting bids on Gunbroker.

Then he whips out a 624. For all intents and purposes about the same condition as the 629. It had no dash so I am assuming it wasnt made very much? Anyway .. He said that the 44 special was probably worth more and in higher demand. Now he may have toasted any great resale value because he reamed the cylinder to accept 44 mag but ...

Is the 624 a more desirable gun in the own/collector set.

I will never buy a new post lock smith again and I must say .. I like 44 special.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
After he reamed outthe cylinder to accept 44 mag I would not be interested. The 629 would be of interest. If they were both up for sale I would place mor value on the 629 mtn gun.
Because of the reaming or is the 629 just more desirable? I started looking at S&W prelock 44 special on Gunbroker ... OH NO!!!!

I figured it probably destroyed the value by reaming. Now an ignorant man asking a question so he doesnt remain ignorant .. How does reaming change head spacing or does it? I am not sure I fully understand how head spacing works. I can fire my 10mm ruger with or without moonclips. Something about head spacing on the brass. I would think if you reamed the cylinder it would no longer accept 44 special??

Edited to add pix

·
Premium Member
10,809 Posts
These revolvers headspace on the rim. Lengthening the inside of the cylinder doesn't affect headspace.

A 10mm cartridge is rimless (like other pistol straight walled cartridges). It normally headspaces on the front of the case, but when it's in moon clips, it can establish the headspace by holding the cartridge in place at the rear of the cylinder. If the cylinder is designed to fire 10mm without moon clips, it will headspace on the front of the case, and probably continues to support the cartridge that way.

I wonder what it would cost to just replace the cylinder on the 624? If I made an offer, it would allow for that expense.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Figure a couple hundred for a new cylinder, if you can find one, and about the same to install it. If you can time the ratchet yourself you save some money.

Kevin

·
Registered
615 Posts
If I’m not mistaken, carbon steel magnum cylinders goes through additional heat treatment that the non magnum cylinders doesn’t. I’m not sure about the stainless steel cylinders.
Joe A.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If I’m not mistaken, carbon steel magnum cylinders goes through additional heat treatment that the non magnum cylinders doesn’t. I’m not sure about the stainless steel cylinders.
Joe A.
That's interesting! I have never heard that.

·
Registered
615 Posts
I recall reading about the non magnum cylinders not undergoing extra heat treatment compared to magnum cylinders years ago in a discussion about why a Model 25 S&W chambered for the 45 Colt shouldn’t be loaded above standard 45 Colt loads because of not undergoing the heat treatment of the Magnum rounds. Heat treatment or not, the most I loaded in my 45-10 in 45 COLT was just a healthy charge of Unique because of thin chamber walls.

Joe A.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts