Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #1
I got bored so I came up with something different. In reading these forums I have come across a lot of very knowledgeable people. So let's have a little phun and see who can guess what model gun this is. Here are a couple of clues: It's an S&W (no duh) born in 1973. Do not be fooled, however, by the extras. The jeweling on the trigger and hammer, as well as the red ramp and white outline (not visible) were added later. The stocks are obviously not original, and it has been reblued. Any guesses? (Oh, did I mention that I was bored?)

Sent from my Commodore 64 running Windoze 95

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #5
M28, Highway Patrolman
Winner, winner, chicken dinner! Great guess! I would like to thank both of you for playing. :)

Reactions: Curt360

Premium Member
Model 19

Premium Member
Winner, winner, chicken dinner! Great guess! I would like to thank both of you for playing. :)

That's a bit of a surprise that it's a M28... I thought the bluing didn't look dull/matte enough for a 28, unless this puppy was re-blued and got a good polishing.

Reactions: 5150

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #8
That's a bit of a surprise that it's a M28... I thought the bluing didn't look dull/matte enough for a 28, unless this puppy was re-blued and got a good polishing.
Good eye, and you're absolutely right about the factory finish, but as noted in my post I had it reblued.
It was my first gun and since I'll never sell it I thought I would have it gussied up a bit a few years after
I got it. BTW, it's a -2 model and shoots just as sweet almost 50 years later with thousands of rounds
thru it. IMHO, the HPs are great guns.

Registered
You can tell it鈥檚 a 28 cuz of the four inch tapered barrel. That rules out the 29 and the 27. Looks nice refinished

Premium Member
Good eye, and you're absolutely right about the factory finish, but as noted in my post I had it reblued.
It was my first gun and since I'll never sell it I thought I would have it gussied up a bit a few years after
I got it. BTW, it's a -2 model and shoots just as sweet almost 50 years later with thousands of rounds
thru it. IMHO, the HPs are great guns.

Ah... I missed that you had it refinished. I total agree that the HP's are great... I have 3 of them, two are pre-28's and the third is a 28-2.

The 28-2 was my very first handgun that I bought back in 1974 as soon as I turned 21, which is the legal age to purchase one in CA. It went on to be my duty carry gun when I became a LEO a few years later.

At first glance, because of the tapered barrel, was going to guess that it was a possibly a pre-24 .44 Spl that had been shortened.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #11
Ah... I missed that you had it refinished. I total agree that the HP's are great... I have 3 of them, two are pre-28's and the third is a 28-2.

The 28-2 was my very first handgun that I bought back in 1974 as soon as I turned 21, which is the legal age to purchase one in CA. It went on to be my duty carry gun when I became a LEO a few years later.

At first glance, because of the tapered barrel, was going to guess that it was a possibly a pre-24 .44 Spl that had been shortened.
When I got my 28-2 back in '73 I wasn't quite old enuf to get it on my own so I gave my dad the dinero for it (straw purchase?).
Paid about $106 OTD at Cheshire & Perez (Monrovia, Calif.). Only wish I still had the original box and what came with it. :confused:

Premium Member
When I got my 28-2 back in '73 I wasn't quite old enuf to get it on my own so I gave my dad the dinero for it (straw purchase?).
Paid about $106 OTD at Cheshire & Perez (Monrovia, Calif.). Only wish I still had the original box and what came with it. :confused:

I paid $135 for mine... I bought it at Oshman's Sporting Goods, a chain store that was located in a large indoor shopping mall, next to the entrance to Macy's ... LOL, can you imagine that ever happening now (in today's anti-gun climate) in California?

That was also back in the day when the San Francisco Bay Area was the home of many fine gun shops and gunsmiths... the likes of which I'll never see again here in my life time.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts