Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got into a discussion today about the difference between blued revolvers and stainless steel and which one I liked better and why we have opposite views with out tainting the water we decided to let the forum vote this one out blue or stainless which do you prefer

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
Stainless all the way. In fact, 95 percent of my collection is SS. Why. Lost of reasons for me but the main one is it is easier to clean. I have more than a few guns I enjoy shooting, but I like to clean them after every range trip. I can use more harsh cleaning fluids on my stainless guns than my blued ones.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Like most things, it depends. For style, looks and feel it is definitely blue. The deeper and darker the better. Stainless for rust resistance and durability. That said I have guns nearly 100 years old that still have deep, dark and beautiful blueing. I also like nickel on some guns. I have a beautiful nickel Model 27 and one in blue. I better shut up I’m confusing myself ... LOL

·
Registered
14,527 Posts
At one point I told someone that I probably wouldnt get any blued revolvers. Stainless looks good and is easier to keep rust free and clean. At the time I figured I might eventually acquire 3 or 4 revolvers
Right now I have 15 revolvers. 7 are stainless, 7 are blued and one is nickel. Stainless may have some benefits but some of those blued guns are oh so nice. Got an old Highway Patrolman. There really is no stainless equivalent.
FCC14232-8DE6-4252-8DD8-270AA06C8614.jpeg 042182B4-53FE-4A18-83F7-8C8D33A23203.jpeg

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
At one point I told someone that I probably wouldnt get any blued revolvers. Stainless looks good and is easier to keep rust free and clean. At the time I figured I might eventually acquire 3 or 4 revolvers
Right now I have 15 revolvers. 7 are stainless, 7 are blued and one is nickel. Stainless may have some benefits but some of those blued guns are oh so nice. Got an old Highway Patrolman. There really is no stainless equivalent.
View attachment 421333 View attachment 421335
Drool with a big ol capital "D" !! Dayum

·
Registered
6,563 Posts
Neither

Most of my guns are nickel. I do like stainless for carry guns as they have the most durable/easiest to spruce up finish.

·
Registered
19,963 Posts
Prefer Blued by far. Three stainless and two Nickle.

Reactions: Boriqua

·
Registered
5,328 Posts
I will defer to blued steel. My rational is not complicated. In the finish of a beautifully polished and blued S&W revolver there is a depth and quality, a character if you will that is simply not equaled but only approached by nickel or stainless steel. Lying on the couch at this moment is a wonderful old 19-3 (a. 1975) ... four inch barrel w/ Pachmayrs b/c they cushion my hands from heavy recoiling magnum loads. It is in my opinion a shooter. The finish is of course a little worn, else it would not be a shooter! Now the color casing on the trigger is a bit shiny ... b/c of wear from working the trigger. That sort of thing to me is not detracting. Rather it is simple silent testament to the attraction of a beautiful revolver. Sincerely. bruce.

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
Blued. Nothing is as beautiful as a deep blue. In fact, I find “honest wear” on a blued gun very attractive. Stainless steel is cold and lifeless.

·
Registered
4,012 Posts
1 - 20 of 46 Posts