Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seeking input as to which .22 rifle to add to a small collection. Criteria must include:
1) A 'classic' design/style. Defined as you wish .. to me meaning it possesses a certain elegance in function and form, is blue and walnut, and has demonstrated over the years its superior design.
2) Is extremely accurate.
3) Is at least somewhat available.

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
Dan,

I would look for one of the following depending upon which action sort you want. I've thrown a few links to give you some idea of representative pricing...

Winchester 57 (my personal favorite)

http://www.lever-action.com/photo.php?id=1440_0_2_0_M18

Browning / USRA Winchester 52B or C Issue "Sporter" (Photo is an original Winchester)

http://www.gunsinternational.com/Winche ... 215F71449D

Remington Model 12A , B or C. (Octagon, Pistol Grip shown also common in Round, Straight)

http://www.gunsinternational.com/Reming ... =100096637

http://www.gunsamerica.com/932590084/Gu ... BARREL.htm

http://www.gunsamerica.com/935887743/Gu ... l_12_C.htm

Winchester 1906. (Takedown Carbine... great for packing in)

http://www.907bigboytoys.com/index/list ... ge7025.htm

None of these are really inexpensive, but they are classics and will give you a lifetime of service.

Hope this helps you Bro...

Drew

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Classic good-looks, accurate, Blued and Walnut, high-quality.

Simple;.......Winchester Model 75 Sporter!

·
Registered
19,798 Posts
The absolute best .22 rifle to own, (my opinion, of course!!!) is the Ruger 10/22 Sporter with a quality scope. There's a reason that it's the most popular .22LR.......it's the BEST, and it won't cost an arm and leg. Everyone should own one!!!! ;) Bob

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Bob K said:
The absolute best .22 rifle to own, (my opinion, of course!!!) is the Ruger 10/22 Sporter with a quality scope. There's a reason that it's the most popular .22LR.......it's the BEST, and it won't cost an arm and leg. Everyone should own one!!!! ;) Bob

Everyone does Bob! The 10/22 is the Glenfield Model 60 of the 21st. Century. They're an inexpensive rifle. Doesn't mean it isn't a good one though. You can pick one up at any large Chain like Dick's for about $160.00 on sale. I'm on my third one. Haven't had one yet that would shoot under an inch at 25 yards though. For the money they're a great Squirrel-getter. But, they're not in the same league as alot of the aforementioned rifles.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
In about an hour or two I'm headed outta here for the Peach Orchard and I'm taking a Remington 241 and a Remington 550-1 with me. Both are very fine rifles, you wouldn't go wrong with either one.

The rifle I most favor is my Winchester 62A. I've had that rifle since me and Daniel Boone trekked into Kentucky. The legend is, he killed the bear. Bullsh*t! I did. With my Winchester 62A.

Biggest bear I ever did see. Daniel was hiding up in the tree and the bear was climbing after him. I shot the bear in the rump, it fell and broke it's neck.

True story!

·
Registered
19,798 Posts
You need a scope to bring out the accuracy of a 10/22. Mine will easily shoot under 1" at 25 yds. You also need to find the best ammo for it..........not the cheap Bulk .22 ammo, either! kfjdrfirii Bob

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
I have a 10-22 and a old winchester model 77 semi auto. But If I was looking for a realy nice 22 personaly I would look at a Marlin 39a. They have made them for many years and you can get a new one or find a older version.Anne Oakley used to use one for a lot of her trick shooting.
But all the other suggestions are good to. Lot of versions and brands of good 22 rifles out there.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Bob, my current 10/22 wears a 3-9x40mm Bushnell. No matter what I feed it(Even tried some of my stash of Eley Tenex I use in the Supermatic), best it has done is about 7/8 of an inch for five shots from a bench.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Great stuff guys, I really appreciate the input.
Handled a Marlin 39 Mountie a few days ago. Felt very good, if a little barrel heavy. This particular gun was more than well used though.. and so I passed.
Also had a chance at a Winchester M52 with Target stock. A fantastic machine.. but too unwieldy for field use in my opinion.. and so I passed again.
Still lookin'...

·
Registered
48 Posts
Over the years I've owned many, many .22 rifles in all configurations and I've built a dozen or so 10-22s. For my money the most out of the box accuracy is with the CZ 452s. I've narrowed my .22 stable to several 452FS models. The two pictured are in .22 lr. and .22 magnum.

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
I will give another vote for the really neat model 39 Marlin this one is 1960 vintage.

But there are lots of other choices. I kinda like this 1923 Sporter by Savage which is older but is a full size .22 Bolt Action.

·
Registered
570 Posts
I know i'm late but....classic? blue/walnut? and accurate.....well....... here's my choices.....

top to bottom...

first off a springfield 87M... oldie but goodie,, kinda hard to find but, holding value... like a little baby M1

second a remington model 24.... light & handy and a browning design takes down easely.

third on list, a remington 513T,, ok it's a little heavy to be carrying around, and it's been changed a little from "stock" but it's a chipmunks worst nightmare..

next on the list 1890 winchester,, true classic... not much else needs said.

and lastly a winchester 74 in .22 short.... now this is a fun one. either standard velocity shorts or CCI CB shorts.. not much louder that a pellet gun, and a semi auto... just about as much fun as you can have being quiet...it's been my number one "critter-getter" everything from squrriels & bunnies to pheasants & turkeys

1 - 15 of 15 Posts