Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,
I bought this S&W model 1905, 4th change (5 screw) 5 years ago. And was wondering what it's value is today as I might want to sell it and buy a new S&W 41. It has a 6" barrel with a like new bore. This gun has not seen much use and may have fired a couple of times (none by me). It has a serial number 2682XX on the butt and rear of the cylinder. Has another serial number on the hinge of the cylinder of 2959. I believe it was made mid 1920's. Grips are perfect condition with sharp checkering (no dings or chips). Metal retains about 98% of original finish. Very slight wear at the muzzle only. Hammer and trigger show vivid case coloring. Action is very tight and lock-up is rock solid. A beautiful example of an early 1905. I would really appreciate an honest appraisal by those more in the know than me. Thanks so much!

S&W Pointing Right.jpg S&W Pointing Left.jpg S&W Cylinder Open.jpg Back of handle.jpg S&W Grips.jpg

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
It's a real beauty and (naturally) will go for whatever the traffic will bear. (Location,location). I agree with Moondog, somewhere between 4-600 if you find the right buyer.

·
Registered
4,931 Posts
Welcome aboard from Florida the "GunShine" state.

It would go from $400-$600 in my neck of the woods.

+1. Maybe a bit more if put on G-broker.

·
Registered
4,931 Posts
What do you think it's worth? I hate being used as an appraisal service.
"Appraisal service" isn't bad. That just takes a OPINION. It's the "when was it made" that I have to dig the Bible out for. If they are polite, as the OP was, I don't mind. It's the Post #1 people that want to argue with you that I ignore.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the reply 1 old 0311! I paid $695.00 for it 5 years ago, so you seem to be right in the ball park. I guess I'll have to wait to get the S&W 41. I looked up the serial number date on a website and if they are correct it was somewhere around 1925-27? Thanks again.

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
What do you think it's worth? I hate being used as an appraisal service.
If it bothers you, answer to that is really quite simple. Just don't answer. Someone will who does not mind.

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
DAC , that looks to be as nice of an example of a 1905 as is going to be seen and a is probably a joy to own and hold.But sale for guns like that require the right buyer.I would not try to force a quick sale as you need either a national exposure( G.B.,forum claissified ,etc. ) or a chance contact with the right appreciator. I vote keep it and find another way to get something new.:D

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you for the kind reply, needsmostuff. I think it's sound advice. I do hate to part with it (and probably won't), but with the economy the way it is, I couldn't think of any other way towards the 41. I don't want to shoot the 1905 (want to keep it pristine), I thought it would be fun to have a nice pistol like the 41 that I could actually shoot (cheaply), have fun with and still be the owner of a very nice pistol, but the gap of even $700.00 and $1,300.00 (price of a new 41) is a bit too much.
5 or 6 years ago, I would have just bought it. No can do now. Thanks again.

·
Registered
6,671 Posts
DAC, It is a beautiful gun. I suppose I should have elaborated. M&Ps being such a common commodity more people on the auction sites I monitor (very often) are motivated by the odd balls. The last two days I have been watching two Cogswell & Harrison conversions go up from penny starts. They are in decent condition (for what they are). One has sold at $362 (to my recollection) the other with 6 hours to go is headed there. Why, I have no idea. Certain niche variants, like Navy Victory models have gone for $800-$900, again why? My experience with GB is that if you put a $700 start or an undisclosed reserve it will not gain traction. AuctionArms seems to pull better prices for what you have.

I shop hard and fold often. Even so the only time I have exceeded $400 on an M&P was for a very nice SV serial. That includes target models, nice guns in 1930's boxes etc. The guns larger than M&Ps are in demand; the smaller generally not unless is something odd like an M frame.

Your gun, is of the teens not the twenties and predates hardened cylinders. The gold medallions were about the shortest lived grip variation, other than the smooth handles of WWII.

I wish you well with goals. Since I have not done so, welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Waidmann, Thanks so much for the great information. My guess is I'll hold onto it. Take care, and thanks again. Dennis

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks to all for the great info and good thoughts. You've all been a lot of help. I'll probably hang on to the 1905. It is a beautiful pistol. Maybe I'll lower my sights (no pun intended) and look at the Colt (sorry) Woodsman. They, like the S&W 41 are supposed to a be very accurate classic and a little cheaper.........I think. Thanks again you've all been very friendly (for the most part) and very helpful. I really appreciate it. DAC

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
Dac , if the ultimate goal is fun filled yet accurate .22 semi-auto plinking and target work and cost is a concideration, you need to have a look at the ubiquitous Ruger mkII and mkIII. I am often taken to task for straying from the S&W path but this gun taught the world how to make a affordable tackdriver . The aftermarket makes any accessory or part available,and factory versions come in any configuration you can think of. Just don't take it apart and it will treat you right till the 41 falls in your lap.(You cannot be looking to find a good deal, to find one)
OR
Start a question line in the other brands /semi auto section of the forum and see what direction that goes.

Reactions: okiedavy

·
Registered
20,893 Posts
The Ruger MK.III, while not a S&W M-41, is a fine shooter. As far as taking it down and putting it back together...... you have to follow the instructions completely........and even then......there are a few more tricks. Taking out the magazine and putting it back in is required several times, plus aligning the parts correctly is critical. You need to lower your expectations. Your 1905 S&W will never be worth the price of a m-41.......they both keep on rising.....so it will never catch up! Bob

·
Premium Member
Model 27 and Model 19 (early builds)
3,806 Posts
I bought this S&W model 1905, 4th change (5 screw) 5 years ago. It has a 6" barrel with a like new bore.
DAC,
Just saying. That is a .38 Military & Police Model of 1905- 4th Change. S&W also made a Hand Ejector Model of 1905- 4th Change (those were in .32-20).

The M&P with the 6" barrel and a square butt in that condition are slightly rare. I'd hold on to it until you get a good offer. You do know that it's a C&R which offers lower costs for trades/sales? I wish I had to something to trade.

BTW, I bought a M&P-4th a few months ago, but it was mislabeled at a LGS. It is a K-frame 4" 5-screw in nickel (1929).

Reactions: Wiregrassguy

·
Premium Member
4,273 Posts
welcome01 Welcome aboard I got lucky with this one back in Nov. I found out lucky i was after I bought it These folks know their stuff and are willing to share. Helped me more than once. Anyway here is the one I lucked into. $325 private sale Best regards Dick 100_0485.jpg 100_0486.jpg 100_0487.jpg PS. Back in the 90s I shot Bullseye competition with a Model 41 with a Tasco pro-point. I sure wish I had it nowl;gmna;

1 - 19 of 19 Posts