Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi to all.

As the tittle says I have no idea where to apply for my PR firearms license! I have lived here all my life ( I'm 20) and it is still a pain to get this info. I do not want to fill the documents at a gunship because its more expensive and I know I cant request it personally but I don't know WHERE.

If any of you guys know please tell me.

·
Registered
14,482 Posts
I would check with your local police department. A quick google search says all permits to own a firearm must be approved through the police superintendents office.
Also from what I saw you have to be 21 to apply

·
Registered
20,893 Posts
I would imagine that most people in PR, that want to carry........just carry. They do here!!! :D Bob

·
Registered
6,671 Posts
Like Jonesy, I did a quick search and concur if there are forms the police have them. I also saw where applications were up 56% from 2013.

I would not rule out the gun shop since where requirements are onerous they are usually the best informed and connected. It is true that where the regulatory burden is greatest, the relationships between regulators and the regulated are the closest.

I am afraid that in a discretionary system your age is going to work against you. I know that this has been you only home but as I sometimes say to residents of some states you might want to consider luggage before a Puerto Rican permit. You are young and adaptable. There are options.

·
Registered
7,794 Posts
Since gun shops have to sell guns to make a profit they have a vested interest in a gun buyer being able to buy.

Not only that, they know the ropes on the paperwork too.

I'd suck it up and deal with them.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'll try going to the local precinct. I know I have to be 21 but want to do my homework first.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You cant just carry a gun in PR, you need a license to own firearms and then a lisence to carry.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Dont worry Waid, when I finish my studies I'm going over to the good old USA and leave this dump behind but for now I gatta stay put. Soon I'm going to be 21. I was just doing my homework.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thing is they will charge me 200$ + club membership in a town too far from me. I have already shot and competed with my minors firearm lisence but I wont renew it since I'm no longer a minor and it will cancel automatically.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Fellows, I went all over Puerto Rico in 1995 and I never saw a gun shop, anywhere!
I dont believe its possible for ordinary citizen there to even OWN a gun, unless he
got some pull. And, we went from one end of that island to the other, too! BUT,
i see where the gangs there are out of control, and are killing lots of people. I guess
it just proves the old saying bout "when guns are outlawed, only OUTLAWS will have
guns!"

·
Registered
208 Posts
Be ready to pay well over $1,000 for your permit and classes, and that's not counting the cost of the gun.

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
Dont worry Waid, when I finish my studies I'm going over to the good old USA and leave this dump behind but for now I gatta stay put. Soon I'm going to be 21. I was just doing my homework.
We've got plenty seats in every university here in the US mainland. If you can make it here, there are many many sources of financial aide/scholarships/grants available to willing students.
I urge you to check your options if you're seriously considering coming to the U.S. mainland...it might be possible for you to come here, and have some if not most of your education paid for by our government.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts