Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Smith and Wesson 38 Special CTG and I'm trying to figure out which set of numbers is the serial number... There is a five digit number on the bottom of the handle. There is a five digit number with a letter way in front by the cylinder and there are two other five digit numbers by the cylinder. Tried to take pics but not showing up well. I circled where the numbers are located though on the picture. 12512120_10156329510135234_292812612_n.jpg 12528027_10156329509950234_2062043036_n.jpg 12584051_10156329510080234_285772688_n.jpg

·
Registered
16 Posts
Use the number on the bottom of the grip frame (or, in your parlance, the bottom of the handle). That is the one consistent place S&W put the serial #. The other numbers can be, and usually are, simply assembly numbers that have no meaning after leaving the factory.

·
Premium Member
19,358 Posts
welcome01 to the forums from the Wiregrass! The gun you have is not a .38 Special CTG. That is simply what cartridges the gun shoots. It is called a .38/44 Heavy Duty and was made before WWII. I can't make out the SN from your first picture. If you give it to us, we can approximate when it shipped from the factory. It was made between 1930 and 1936. Also, if you look inside the ejector rod recess and see a 'B', the gun was originally blued. From what I see, it was refinished in nickel at some point in its life.

·
Premium Member
11,694 Posts
You've come to the right place. Lots of smart folks here.

Welcome to the board.

welcome01

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh wow, I thought it was from the 50's. LOL Sorry, I'm new to the gun world. 98009 is the serial number. And yes, there is a B inside the ejector rod recess.

·
Super Moderator
11,152 Posts
Where is there serial number on a S&W 38 Special CTG?

Kind of a mystery. It's definitely a pre war, long action but that serial numbers never is outside of the range for a pre war Heavy Duty.

Can you take a better pick of the serial number?

·
Premium Member
19,358 Posts
I think you are reading your SN backwards because it is too high for a pre-war gun and post-war guns' serials began with an S. To read it correctly, point the barrel to the right. IMO, it should be 60086 which would have shipped in 1940-41. Take another picture of the SN on the butt of the gun and post it for us. BTW, that SN should also be stamped on the rear of the cylinder above the ejector star and inside the shroud (ejector rod recess). If they all match, the gun is in its original configuration...except for the plating of course.

Reactions: Oldgungeezer

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You are absolutely correct... The number inside the shroud is 60086. Of course I would read it upside down. LOL The camera on my phone sucks, every picture I take of the number is blurry.

·
Premium Member
19,358 Posts
If you would like to learn more about the history of your gun (it was the broad-shouldered predecessor to the .357 Magnum), go to 38-44heavyduty.com. The fellow who runs that site (Bill) would like to get your serial number for his database. There is an email link on the first page.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I know this is being asked a lot, but i just inherited a 38 S&w Special CTG. Serial number is 381581. It's made of steel and has a 5" barrel. Any info would be appreciated. Thank you!

·
Registered
13,723 Posts
A S&W 38 Special CTG would be one of these:
38spcl.jpg
CTG is an abbreviation for Cartridge.

Probably would have gotten more notice if you started your own thread instead of tacking on to a 5 year old one. What you have is a S&W 38 Military & Police. A picture would really help

·
Premium Member
19,358 Posts
Welcome to the forums from the Wiregrass! As Jonesy said, you have a .38 Military & Police (M&P) revolver, Model 1905, 4th Change that was likely made in 1924. S&W started manufacturing the .38 M&P in 1899 and continues to sell them as the Model 10. They have sold about 7 million of them, so they aren't rare but occasionally a unique one pops up. So, posting some pictures would help us help you get more information.

Reactions: Forester

·
Super Moderator
33,651 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts