Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the opener of muzzle loading season looms just 2 weekends away, and the preseason scouting/woodswalks progress, I am suddenly at a very frustrating point in my efforts. There is so much food out there right now, the acorn crop I have never seen anything like before. I mean it is incredible. Some places it is like trying to walk on marbles there are so many, the ground so covered with them. I am going to photograph some random spots of ground and show you all what I mean. The beechnuts in some groves are thick, and in others nothing of note. If this mast crop doesn't get iced over or buried under 4 feet of snow, they will have no problem surviving this coming winter at all.
The problem? The deer have vanished. No doubt they have to move very little right now, through the course of a day, certainly all they'd have to do is rise from their bed and get under the nearest oaks to begin feasting. Anyway I suddenly don't know where they are, and not sure what my next moves ought to be. Not good. Any suggestions?

G

·
0 Posts
Geoff,

Think your observations are spot on for New England. The acorns are thick up where we shot a month ago. Never seen them so thick. Makes me think a cold Winter is in the works. The snowshoe hares are digging big berms. The deer are nowhere near my land. No rubs in the usual places.

Think it's time to put up an extra cord or two....

giz

G

·
0 Posts
c.

Brooks meander thru my lower property. But, the Beavers have been busy up by the ponds and outfalls. I expect to see more deer yards up in the softwood then before....

Turkeys sure ought to be fat this next week....on the opener... :mrgreen:

giz

·
Registered
10,947 Posts
Every year before quail season opens, the Gambels quail are every where and quite calm around the normal feeding spots. They got the memo from Az. Game and Fish again this year and have taken to the rocky hillsides where they blend in so well and a fast flight puts them over the ridge beyond this old man's desire for a relaxing hike. I have no doubt your deer are on an "Opening Day E-Mail Alert" list.
Good luck to all of you in your searches and hunts. If it gets you in a more focused frame of mind, I'll tell you my friend's 12 year old daughter shot a mulie buck last Saturday up between Diamond Joe Peak and the Big Sandy kfjdrfirii O yeah, the shot was 122 yards

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
c pierce said:
Where do they go to water?
Good question. In the areas I hunt, there are big watering holes (beaver ponds) and small trickles of water going down hillsides, which often enough form small, sediment free pools on their way down, and they have enough so they don't have to visit the same one every time.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Found them today as the sun was setting. I would have filled my tag if it had been in season, as I had 2 does approach to within 40 feet. Might have even been able to hand gun them at that range! :lol:
I am going to try and stay with the does this year, in hopes of seeing a buck going to them along a trail. But if an opportunity like I had tonight presents itself, it'll be hard to pass up.
Of course, I expect them to vanish come opening morning....

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
Quarter Cherokee said:
They heard I was coming and took off for Canada.
That's where all the Good ****** come from.... Surprised they let your scrawny water starved ass in up there.... :cool:

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Geoff40 said:
Of course, I expect them to vanish come opening morning....
Geoff, when is your whitetail opener? I'll be routing for you.

Ours is October 31 for Maine residents only, November 2 for everyone else.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
I think most of the deer have come down here. There has been a report every morning of at least one sometimes two deer trying to take on a car. I have deer sign at several of my stands. I'm hoping to get out and get one this weekend.

(our season opened Sept. 15 and goes through Jan. 1 !!! )

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Muzzle loading season starts here also on Oct. 31. I have that and the next 2 days off afterward to hunt the entire opener. Not soon enough!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts