Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I recently picked up a very nice looking 3rd Model Perfected Target single-shot .22LR pistol from a friend of mine. The original grips are long gone and I would like to either find an original pair (which I figure is about as likely as finding an honest politician), or a nice set of reproduction grips. While I'm wishing, I'd love to find an original box. I'd also like to be able to grow hair on my head and win the lottery (not in that order). ;)

If anyone can pass along a lead on either original or reproduction grips for this pistol, I'd very much appreciate it.

Many thanks,

David

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
Doc N,
This one calls for some tips from member opoefc.
Ed, if you're out there, we could use some of your wisdom!
kljng; kljng;
Don

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
fugotti said:
http://www.gungrip.com/items_031__page0.html
Thank you for the link, but this pistol is not a Number 3, it's a Third Model Perfected Target. It originally came with the extension type grips that are seen on the old 22/32s. I believe they made them between 1909 and 1923 if memory serves.

Thank you for the thought though - I appreciate it.

David

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
David,
I've never owned a Perfected single-shot, but have had the 22/32.
Since I don't know the age/date of your gun, I'll just throw out some data you might find useful.
First, there are lots of the 'notch-stepped frame' extension targets out there that may or may not fit your gun properly.
Externally, particularly when viewed from the side, they appear identical to the non-stepped grips.
Second, the 'medallion-vs-non-medallion' thing...
As I recall, the grips from circa 1910 to 1920 are gold-medallion grips.
From circa 1920 to 1930, the grips have no medallions.
Hope this is of some help.
Don
;)

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Don,

Thank you very much for the information. I was wondering about the medallion / no medallion thing, as I've seen them both ways. Do you have any good sources for the 'notched stepped frame' extension target grips? I looked through GunBroker, but didn't see anything.

Many thanks,

David

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
David,
A few points to ponder:
1) The 'step-notch' grips are made to fit only the 'Regulation Police' revolvers. Externally, they look like just what you need. They're relatively easy to find...compared to the 'non-rebated' style you need for your gun.
2) If you'd care to share the serial #, we can probably get the proper year established (medallions? non-medallions?)
3) Where to find what you need? I'd start with Lee Jarrett (noconeetrader) and David Carroll. Both are good and honest dealers, and they usually offer grips, boxes and ephemera on their websites.

In summary, you own a relatively rare and collectible gun. The grips will be (correspondingly) hard to find.
On a happy note?
A friend actually found such a set on eBay last year!
Good luck.
Don
;)

·
Registered
55 Posts
David, Try Hugh May, S&WCA member who is also a grip dealer. [email protected] Last time I looked, Hugh had both the hard rubber grips and the checkered walnut grips to fit your gun. Minty original pairs won't be cheap, however. Ed.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Don & Ed,

Thank you for the leads on the grips. The Serial Number is 1007x. My friend advised me that this pistol was factory refinished at some point in its life. They did a phenomenal job, as the lettering and logo are better defined than any of my other S&Ws. The only flaw I can find in the bluing is a tiny mark about 1/8" long on the edge of one of the barrels. I have the standard and olympic barrels which both look to be in excellent condition, but not the box, paperwork, or tools. It came with a velvet-lined wood presentation case with space for the pistol and the extra barrel, but I doubt that it's original as it looks identical to the wood box that came with my 25-2 Model of 1955.

I won't be shooting or selling this one. I would like to restore her to her original beauty though.

Many thanks,

David

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
David,
Glad we were able to help. jjjpnf
You really need to read page 113 of the 3rd Edition, 'Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson', by Jim Supica & Richard Nahas.
In fact, you'd best buy the book.
It's incredibly helpful.
Don
;)

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi Don,

I couldn't agree with you more. I bought the book several months ago and found it to be an invaluable reference.

My copy has been opened to page 113 for the past couple of days. ;)

David

1 - 11 of 11 Posts