Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Smith & Wesson lovers,

I have a Smith & Wesson revolver and i wish to discover when it was made or shiped.

On the side of the barrel there is "38 S.&W. SPECIAL CTG", and on the top there is "Smith & Wesson Springfield MASS. U.S.A. Pat'd Mar.27.94. May.21.95. Aug.4.96. Dec.22.96. Oct.8.01. Dec.17.01. Feb.6.06. Sept. 14.09".

It has a serial number "234520" and a "3884" marked inside twice.

It has a mother of pearl handle and a 6'' barrel.

Can you help me out??? Firearm Gun Revolver Trigger Gun accessory Firearm Gun Revolver Trigger Gun accessory

·
Super Moderator
19,839 Posts
Nice shooter you've got there. It's a 38 hand ejector, and the dates to the serial numbers aren't accurate at all. The only way to find out when it was originally shipped would be to apply for a letter of autherticity.
Yours is an M&P in 38 Spl hand ejector M&P, and the date is roughly 1913 or so.
The catalog sets the dates from 1909 @ #146900 thru 1915 @ #241703.

It's in pretty good condition as well. If it functions as it was made to, it's probably worth somewhere around $350-450 depending on your regional market.
It was designed to shoot standard 38 Special ammo, with a 158 grain lead bullet. It should put the bullet at your point of aim at 10 yds. Because of it's age it is recommended that you never shoot any ammo rated +P. Jacketed bullets, if you decide to shoot them should all be 158 grain weight. Lighter bullets can produce too much pressure for the barrel of your reolver, resulting in a very dangerous situation.
Be safe and always use only good quality ammo that you know and trust.

Regards,
Gearchecker

Reactions: grasshopper

·
Premium Member
20,361 Posts
welcome01 to the forums from the Wiregrass! Nice old pistol! But, I must disagree with my friend Gregory on the value. You gun has been refinished at some time in the past. The buffing is easily seen in the left side picture where the tops of pins that should be proud are flattened and the curvature of the frame around the trigger guard is quite rounded. You might carefully take off the grips and see if there is a date like 11.34 stamped on the left side of the grip frame. Is there a Star stamped near the serial number on the butt? These are indications of a factory refinish. I'd put the value lower at $200-300 with factory grips (black plastic). Of course, those pearls have quite a value on their own and could bring a couple hundred $$ by themselves.

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
Refinished or not, it's a nice "shooter" and none are getting any cheaper around these parts. They're now asking around 4 bills for what I consider "boat anchors". It's not any better in the neighboring state of Louisiana either. I just returned from visiting my older brother last week. One day we drove up to Alexandria, La. & decided to visit the "Cajun Pawn Stars" pawn shop. All they had in the case were old S&W's & Colts. Mostly altered, re-finished, or rusty and all started around 4 bills. One 4th. change .38 Special 6" had a bad re-blue job and the asking price was $625. If those pearl grips are in good condition & not chipped or cracked they may be worth a fair amount by themselves.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you all for the excellent answers... There is no star stamped near the serial number on the butt, and no chipped or cracked pearl grips....

Gearchecker, i do have some cartridges with lead only bullets (not jacketed at all)... Is this bullet apropriate to the gun???

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Look on the bottom of the case, it should just say .38S&W SPL or similar, no +p or +p+ on the base. If you have the box the ammo came in, it will tell you the bullet weight. No box, plain lead round nose, just marked as I listed above, is good to go. Standard police/FBI spec 158gr lead round nose 9 times out of 10.

Shoot it in good health, but, CHANGE THE GRIPS for wooden or rubber ones, your grips are worth the same as or more than the gun itself.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts