Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
23,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
John inspired me to write this instead of another bit of history.
I saw the lady who has become my wonderful wife for the first time in church in Wickenburg. There was a brunette I knew but thought was boring but she was sitting with 2 cute little blondes I didn't know. After church the cutest one w/ red blonde hair introduced herself as "Linda from Phoenix". I think I said something clever like, "DAAAHHH". We talked a little & met again @ a young peoples get-together in Phoenix & later still @ a mutual friends wedding & she seemed nice. I asked a friend whose brother had dated her sister for a phone number because there was over 30 people in Phoenix with the same last name (in 1985 Phx was 1/4 the size it is now). When I called her the conversation went something like this:
Angel: "Hello"
*****: Hi, Linda this is Irvi-
A: "Who?"
I: "Uh, Irv-"
A: "Do I know you?"
I: "Uh, I... we met @ church in Wickenburg and-"
A: "What do you look like?"
I: "Um, well I;m 5'8" dark hair and-"
A: "I don't remember you"
I: "uh-"
A: "How did you get my number?"
I: "A friend, Vern gave-"
A: "How do you know him?"
I: "We go hiking & camping sometimes-"
A: "How come no one ever takes me camping?"
I: "Wanna go camping?" (what the heck, she doesn't have any idea who I am I can't screw up any worse now no matter what I do!)
A: Laughs, "no... why are you calling me?"
I: 'I... uh... was going to ask you out to dinner on Saturday but-"
A: "ok"
I: "Huh?" (Did she just say YES?) "er, I'll pick you up around 11 ok?"
A: "You mean in the morning?"
I: "Uh yah... I... Oh! Where I'm from dinner is @ noon, supper is-"
A: "Ok"
I: "Where do you live?"
A: "You have my phone number but not my address?"
I: "uh yeah I-"
A: "never mind it's________" Do you hang out w/ Vern Duane & John?"
I: "Uh, yeah-"
A: "They're boring! Are you boring? Oh never mind I'll find out Saturday. Bye."
I: "Whew!"

When I went to pick her up I rang the doorbell & a middle aged man came to the door & looked @ me balefully. "What?"
"Is Linda here?"
"I'll see" - he shut the door in my face.
A moment later a beautiful lady w/ red-blonde hair opened the door.
"Dad! You could @ least let him in!"
"I didn't know who he was, you said you had a date for dinner not lunch!" (to me lunch is something you pack to take w/ you).
A: "Want to meet my mom?, where is Mom?"
Dad: "I think she's working in her garden."
I: "Uh, you hungry?"
A: "OK, let's go eat, bye Dad"
I: "Where would you like to go?"
A: "I don't care, what are you in the mood for?"
I: "I feel like a steak"
A: "You don't look like one!"
I: "A little overcooked maybe..."

We went to Bill Johnsons Steak House & she ordered a sandwich because she couldn't eat a whole steak (later accused me of marrying her because she was cheap to feed).
I discovered for the first time in my life I was with a girl I could actually talk to. We discussed everything (not just shoes & clothes like all the other girls I'd met). We spent the whole afternoon and evening talking, driving around in my old Jeep, sat beside the river for a while, ate cheeseburgers when suppertime came around. She could talk intelligently about anything but listened well also.

On the way home I thought to myself, "I'd like to see her again every day... wait a minute did I just say that? I was never going to get married!"

2 weeks later we were engaged.
2 months after the first date we were married... We've been described as "2 opinionated pissheads who just happen to agree on almost everything & seldom argue." It's been 25 wonderful years so far...

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
I can see why she fell for you injunbro ... you were such a smooootttthhhh operator!!!

Made me smile .. thanks!

·
Super Moderator
8,963 Posts
Great story, you two were destined to be together!!

·
Super Moderator
33,373 Posts
"Is Linda here?"
"I'll see" - he shut the door in my face.

Sounds like my dad when I was a teenager. ;)

·
Registered
23,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
At least he didn't meet me @ the door w/ his shotgun...

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
Well Nathalie and I first met in early '91, after returning from Desert Storm. In August of '91 I received orders to Germany. I came home and told her, her reply was "what are we going to do??" I replied that she could stay here at Ft. Bragg or marry me and go with me. She said OK! Its been 19yrs since the 19th of this month. I'm surprised she's kept me for all these years!!!!

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
Leighton said:
Well Nathalie and I first met in early '91, after returning from Desert Storm. In August of '91 I received orders to Germany. I came home and told her, her reply was "what are we going to do??" I replied that she could stay here at Ft. Bragg or marry me and go with me. She said OK! Its been 19yrs since the 19th of this month. I'm surprised she's kept me for all these years!!!!
How could she not marry someone who is so romantic!!!

Congratulations -- and let me extend my heartfelt wishes for you to have many more surprised years. 95876yt

·
Registered
23,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Always wondered if Linda dated me because she didn't believe anyone could really be as weird & backwards as her friends said I was & married me because after she'd been seen w/ me once no one else would come near her. happyroller Or maybe it's because I really am the luckiest guy on the planet! omg01

Reactions: Trebor

·
Registered
35 Posts
Always wondered if Linda dated me because she didn't believe anyone could really be as weird & backwards as her friends said I was & married me because after she'd been seen w/ me once no one else would come near her. happyroller Or maybe it's because I really am the luckiest guy on the planet! omg01
Well, it must be luck because she ain't shot him yet - he probably deserves it though.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Okay, you say your wife is an angel, and you're the luckiest guy on the planet.

How does that fit with your "women are evil, men are stupid" theory?

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
very nice Irv, you new she was a keeper from the git -go !!!! some times when it's right ya just know !!!
At least they answed the door for you, My wifes family would not answer the door, the peered out from arond the living room curtains, saw the 71 triumph Bonniville, the leather jacket and 25 miles of Interstate 57 bugs in my beard and would not open the door!! I got lucky she was a little late getting home from work and pulled up just as I was leaving.

·
Registered
23,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Okay, you say your wife is an angel, and you're the luckiest guy on the planet.

How does that fit with your "women are evil, men are stupid" theory?
Easy, She ain't just a woman... she's an angel. I however don't claim to be anything other than stupid (& very lucky).

·
Registered
988 Posts
congrats on your wife and you for those 25 years...when the preacher said till death do you part ,never thought you were settin a goal huh??Any way Congrats to both of you and I hope you have a lot more years to add..

loving wife.jpg

·
Registered
918 Posts
Good for you, *****, and congrats on 25 years. Just one question though regarding Mrs. *****. I have no doubt that she is an angel, after all she's put up with you for all these years. But, does she know all of your past shenanigans as put forth in the tales of "the real Injunbro" by your bestest buddy Lupan? If so, how can she stand to be around such a nefarious character as yourself?

·
Banned
3,435 Posts
I think Injunbro is just like me in that we always get the last word in our household. "Yes ma'am" just before we walk out the door.

·
Registered
23,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Good for you, *****, and congrats on 25 years. Just one question though regarding Mrs. *****. I have no doubt that she is an angel, after all she's put up with you for all these years. But, does she know all of your past shenanigans as put forth in the tales of "the real Injunbro" by your bestest buddy Lupan? If so, how can she stand to be around such a nefarious character as yourself?
Yes, she's heard it all before & reminded me when I wanted to strangle our son when he was attempting to grow up. She's been asked several times by friends(?) of hers and mine how she can stand me & why she hasn't shot me... her standard reply is: "Well, I'm never bored."

Reactions: Bill56
1 - 20 of 20 Posts